Help...How does the Intellichlor SWG Turn Off

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all,

I have a new SWG and I am in process of balancing the pool. I don't have an easy way to turn off the generator other than pressing the % button so no lights are lit. Is that essentially turning off the cell in the cases when I need to shock, add calcium hardner etc?

Thanks all, hoping I don't blow the cell. Trying to balance the pool then let it run on 40 to 60% you think to keep stable?

I have never turned off my SWG when adding chemicals to the deep end of the pool away from the skimmer and never had any problems.

By the time water gets to your SWG it will have been mixed with a lot of hooter water getting to the skimmer and through the filter.

Some SWG instructions say to not turn on the SWG until 24 hours after the initial fill of salt. I haven't seen any SWG instructions saying to turn off the SWG before adding other chemicals.

Thanks AJW. So I added one bag of shock about 3 nights ago my Free Chlorine was in the 5.0 range and as of this AM it was around 1.3. Pool was looking a little dirty and cloudy so decided to give it one good shock then try and let the SWG take over. What do you run usually with for % on the SWG?

I have never turned off my SWG when adding chemicals to the deep end of the pool away from the skimmer and never had any problems.

By the time water gets to your SWG it will have been mixed with a lot of hooter water getting to the skimmer and through the filter.

Some SWG instructions say to not turn on the SWG until 24 hours after the initial fill of salt. I haven't seen any SWG instructions saying to turn off the SWG before adding other chemicals.

What do you run usually with for % on the SWG?

You don't say what size Intellichlor cell you have, how long you run it for, and your CYA level.

Use PoolMath + SWG Run Time Calculator + Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to determine your Pools FC needs and likely run time then tune from there.

Pools lose 2 - 3 PPM of FC per day from the sun. So you need to get your FC up to target level for your CYA by boosting your SWG to 100% for a day or two, or pouring in liquid CL, then lowering your SWG output to replace the daily FC lost from the sun, about 3PPM.

bta,

I have three saltwater pools that have been using the TFP process for about 5 years.. In that time I have never added a single bag of "shock".

If you have to add doses of Pool Store shock, something is wrong...

How are you currently testing your pool water?

I agree with ajw, I never turn off my SWCG either...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.