HELP - cloudy pool

May 3, 2017
Carriere
I have a 15,000 gallon above ground pool and my water is cloudy.

recent test results ... FC 0.08, TC 0.18, TA 95, CH 20, PH 7.6, CYA 54

recommendation from pool store was to add 9 oz of shock and 44 lbs of CH increaser. I didn't think that adding CH was important in a vinyl pool, I have had my pool for 5 years now and have never had to worry about CH. I added 1 gallon of liquid chlorine and increased my in-line chlorinator (not sure when it was turned down). I waited a couple of days to see if I saw any improvements, which there was a slight improvement but not enough to talk about. I bought the CH increaser but wanted to see what y'all think before adding anything else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100 or the Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
There is no need to add any calcium to your pool.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

Thank you for your advice, I will look into the test kit. I have a basic test kit that I measure PH and Chlorine with, it does more then that but I don't know how to do all of the other stuff. I'm sure I could read up on it and figure some of it out. anyways, thanks for your help I will read up on the SLAM process and see if I can figure it out.

You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100 or the Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
There is no need to add any calcium to your pool.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
Thank you for your advice, I will look into the test kit. I have a basic test kit that I measure PH and Chlorine with, it does more then that but I don't know how to do all of the other stuff. I'm sure I could read up on it and figure some of it out. anyways, thanks for your help I will read up on the SLAM process and see if I can figure it out.

24'x54" AG
Chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.