Hello TFP! I found my new home!

Wi Reefkeeper

May 28, 2019
Central Wisconsin
Hello all, my name is Mark. My wife and I are closing on our first home in less than two weeks!
We have always daydreamed of having a nice pool or hot tub, and soon we will have both! The whole process has happened quickly... a month ago we were still looking for a house, and honestly, having a pool didnt seem like a possibility.

So here we are! While i admittedly know nothing about keeping a pool, I do keep a 6' reef tank with fish, coral, and anemones. There are many similarities in maintaining the two, and I'm glad that I have found new home, as TFP seems to align with my method of keeping a reef: keep it simple and stable, quality test kits are worth the cost, and be cautious of what the pool store or LFS ( local fish store) tell you.
So i have been reading up at Pool School and last week i recieved my TF100xl and mag stirrer. We have a lot to do, but as soon as we can get our junk moved and 250 gallons of reef put back together, I will start a new thread!20180519_112413.jpg

You get a :hug: from me for this wonderful first post!!! You bought your test kit before you bought the pool!! SWEET!

Can you slip over to the pool and grab a sample of the water? If so then we can start you a "shopping list" for the pool and get a game plan started so it will be EASY to have the pool to jump into after some unpacking!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please tell us more about the pool. The half full part raises some red flags. How did the home inspector test the equipment? How many home inspectors have experience with pools?

The water level is a concern unless you know why it's that low. If they lowered the water to winterize the pool and haven't filled it yet that's a good answer. If the water level is down because they have a leak then you have a problem. You are in a cold climate so proper winterization is key. The equipment may look good but if it isn't running how do you know?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I know how much of a hassle closing on a new house can be. However, I replaced a furnace once three months after I moved in. Really wished I'd taken out one of those 1 year insurance policies that cover that sort of thing. I'm not saying they are a good purchase, it's just an example of what can go wrong.

If it was me, I'd want to know more about the pool and the equipment and/or have it in writing that it is in good working condition. Make that sort of thing part of the closing and run it by your relator to see what they say. I'd want to know how old the equipment was as well. Just like I'd want to know how old the furnace and roof and septic systems were. It's all part of knowing what you are buying.

For instance, I purchased a remote cabin a couple of years ago. The day of the closing we stopped and checked the place out with our relator. The owner had not removed everything and the place was a mess. I balked at the closing. We compromised, I cleaned everything out but they hauled it all away. I wanted it all out anyway but I didn't have a way to remove the junk given the remote location. They want to sell just as bad as you want to buy.

Take a photo of the equipment and some rough measurements on the pool and post them here. We would be happy to comment.

Reactions: Oly