Hello from Central California

MattyJ

Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2019
Reedley, CA
New member, not a first time pool owner, but first time I'm going to take on the maintenance myself and this is a new home to us (we are 3rd owner).
We have an approx 29k Gal pool (Using the estimator here) with a DE filter and a non-functioning Salt Water system.
Previous owner said that that the Salt Water system didn't work for him and he maintained it conventionally.

We are in central California (Fresno area).

Matty,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to learn all about how saltwater pools work.. :shark:

Thanks for the Intro.. Now you can just float on over to one of our subject orientated sub forums and start asking those questions...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Matty,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to learn all about how saltwater pools work.. :shark:

Thanks for the Intro.. Now you can just float on over to one of our subject orientated sub forums and start asking those questions...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

My understanding is that the pool was originally saltwater, but that the SWG (learning those pool terms) no longer works.
I am planning to maintain the pool "conventionally" (if that is the right term) for now.

MattyJ

I'm having some issues getting my pressure balance correct between my skimmer, vac and main drains.

The skimmer has this secondary inlet pipe directly below the weir door area.

When I remove the filter basket this is what I see. Seems similar to some videos I saw where the main drain and the skimmer run off the same line.
O-ring is missing and no float valve assembly, should this in place? (I'm having a sticking Weir door but that's another aspect I'm working on.)

Main Drains

Here are my mixture controls for the pressure side.
The split valves (left side in the photo) are the skimmer and the vac. I assume the other size is the main drain pressure.

It is very challenging to get enough water moving through the skimmer to have an impact on the surface water AND to get enough pressure to the Vac.
If I completely shut off the main drain side it seems like I can get enough pressure through the two valves on the left to get Vac and water moving decently via the skimmer.

What suggestions do you have? Should I have a float valve assembly under the basket so I can tune the majority of that flow via the Weir instead of the lower pipe?
My filter is DE and is running at 20 PSI (indicated operating pressure up to 50 PSI).

Thanks in advance!

Turn off the main drain. It is unnecessary for normal pool operations. Or at least pinch it down to very minimal flow.

If your main drain is plumbed back to your pad the second hole in the skimmer is not functional.

Turn off the main drain. It is unnecessary for normal pool operations. Or at least pinch it down to very minimal flow.

Ok thanks I'll do that, appreciate that insight.

If your main drain is plumbed back to your pad the second hole in the skimmer is not functional.

I verified that the two holes in the skimmer are independent of the main drain.
The one on the right (closest to the pool) pulls directly from the pipe opening below the Weir door opening.
The one on the left (away from the pool) goes to the pump.

I verified this by putting the Weir door up and plugging my hand over the pipe on the side of the pool by reaching down with my right hand.
I put my left hand over the right hole in the skimmer and there was no water flowing from that opening. I removed my hand from the pipe on the pool wall and water started flowing instantly.

Assuming that I have a functioning Weir door (mine sticks right now) wouldn't I want nearly all the flow from the skimmer assembly to be coming over the Weir door and not through that lower pipe in the pool sidewall?

That lower inlet is a fail safe in case your skimmer gets plugged with leaves, etc. I suspect it pulls very little if your skimmer door is functioning.