Aug 2, 2019
TEXAS
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved from here.
We are in Houston, My New thinking is, If I know we going to get heavy rains over several days,I'm tempted to drop the level in the pool before hand since it's going to overflow anyway, Jack FC levels up a lot, vacume the junk out daily between down pours. It seems like a lot of work, but no mater what I am going to invest the same amount of time fixing green to clean. Or did I mess this up? Please advise
green 2 clean.JPG

Reactions: roblock
Welcome to TP! :wave: That's certainly green. Almost seems like an odd green for just algae, but it may just be the photo. Some things to consider:
- If you don't have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, that would be step #1.
- Post a full set of water test results.
- How do you chlorinate on a daily basis? Have you added any pool store products besides chlorine?
- Update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info.

Whenever there is a flooded area it creates a HUGE mess for pools it will take proper chemistry and time to resolve, but we'll do our best to help.

Moved from here.
We are in Houston, My New thinking is, If I know we going to get heavy rains over several days,I'm tempted to drop the level in the pool before hand since it's going to overflow anyway, Jack FC levels up a lot, vacume the junk out daily between down pours. It seems like a lot of work, but no mater what I am going to invest the same amount of time fixing green to clean. Or did I mess this up? Please advise
View attachment 338240
Welcome Jeff, these guys will get your straightened out! I'm on my way to some clear water myself!

Reactions: Geminisq
Welcome to TP! :wave: That's certainly green. Almost seems like an odd green for just algae, but it may just be the photo. Some things to consider:
- If you don't have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, that would be step #1.
- Post a full set of water test results.
- How do you chlorinate on a daily basis? Have you added any pool store products besides chlorine?
- Update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info.

Whenever there is a flooded area it creates a HUGE mess for pools it will take proper chemistry and time to resolve, but we'll do our best to help.

We usually do the big store powder shock, and 3" tabs. I'm about to locate a source of 12.5% bleach, and less expensive Calcium Hypochlorite. I think the tablets and all that extra stuff adds to my CYA pain. With my CYA at 71, I'd rather just add only chlorine, nothing else till it calls for it. With all that said, I bet 90% of my pain has been self inflicted as we lernt about pools along the way. After reading, I did drop my pH from 8.3 to 7.2, put in a lot of shock to get the FC into the hot yellow zone, and been circulating 24/7, cleaned filters 2x so far, brished scooped and vaccumed the pool 2x, tomorrow I see if I get to deal with a clouldy pool. Looks like more reading tonight.

There is no such thing as a CYA of 71. That sounds like a pool store test, and we dont believe those. Listen to splash, order a test kit now. Also please update your signature so the mods here can give you more precise advice.

Now it a fair guess (remember guess, thats why we like testing) that your CYA is high due to the 3” tabs and pool store powder. A partial (partial is key word, we dont know what kind of pool you have and that matters) drain may be in order. Especially if you have a lot of rain coming.

Finally the standard recommendation is to put 5ppm of LC in a day until your test kit arrives, but with that level of green you could probably double that without doing any harm.

Yes, big box store test results. I agree that they are in the business of selling chem. We are in transition into taking better control of the Chemistry and what goes in there. I'll have a test kit on order by morning. Pool now Clean, and clear, I can see the bottom. tomorrow I will vacume and clean filters.

On a side note...I can not understand why inground pools are not built with a outter edge for dirt & grass to stack up against instead of just blowing straight in.

This morning "They" say ....
1622243277130.png

Oh Jeffrey, you've been a naughty boy haven't you? Lots of copper containing algaecides or pucks? Please tell me you're not using Clorox XtraBlue products, are you??

Maddie :flower:
Dang, you are good. Musta been down that road before. Yup, we did 1 time last year I think. It screwed the pool up fast. I think we needed more chlorine, and was at a big blue box store ....well you know, it had a shiny label, and claimed to fix everything. As soon as it messed up the pool, we quit using them in the pool. Like I say, 90% of our pool issues was lack of training, self inflicted, and taking the pool store recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.