clem1985

Apr 28, 2021
oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have experienced heavy rains in my area for the last week and a half, and supposed to continue till the end of the week. Should SLAM be performed because of that. Or just maintain. I'm also going to need to drain some water

No need to SLAM just because of heavy rain. However if you had a lot of pool overflow or exchange, you might confirm the CYA to ensure you are maintaining the proper FC level per the FC/CYA Levels.
Drained the water off below the skimmer, since I needed to replace a leaking gasket,but also from the excessive rain. So, once refilled to normal water level I'll recheck the cya from water replacement. It was 50 hopefully it didn't drop to much

How long of a time window does a owner have once the fc drops below fc maintenance ppm before algae could cause a problem or even start to grow. For example cya of 50 has a target fc of 6-8ppm, over the course of the day the fc naturally drops down to 4ppm. It needs to be brought back up to 6-8ppm what's the time window?

Reactions: Geminisq
It needs to be brought back up to 6-8ppm what's the time window?
That could vary based on water temp, direct sunlight and I'm sure other chemistry variables. The sooner you increase it the better. If you notice a change in water clarity because of the drop, take the FC even a little high like 8-10 to help with the stress.

So, I retested my CYA, I didn't think it would drop that much, but boy it did, since I did a partial drain and refill. I had to fill the r0013 solution all the way to the top have the black dot dissappear. There is not even a ppm mark for that. Is it 20ppm? I'm definitely going to have to raise the cya. FC tested at 9.5.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.