heater leaking

td3201

May 2, 2018
Lincoln, NE
Well my heater is leaking. It's a Raypak P-M206 (200 BTU) attached to a 15k gallon fiberglass pool. It is original and is probably close to 20 years old. I am suspecting there was water in it that froze this winter. I'm not sure how, it was blown out with the drain cap removed. Either way, I have a problem.

1. I am likely going to have to open this thing up to 100% determine that that's the source of the leak. Any other words of advice/wisdom as I tread into these unfamiliar waters?
  2. Is there a used/refurbished market for these things? I'm likely going to opt for the same model as it appears they still make it or at least very similar in hopes the plumbing and gas line up.

After I get it open and assess the source of the leak, I may have more questions. Maybe it's something simple. Crossing fingers.

No market for the trash. Be happy if you don't pay a fee to have it hauled away.

20 years is a loooong life time for a pool heater. Unless it’s something very inexpensive to fix, it’s not worth it to repair it. You’ve gotten all the life you can expect from it so if it’s not a simple fix then trash it and move on.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Well my heater is leaking. It's a Raypak P-M206 (200 BTU) attached to a 15k gallon fiberglass pool. It is original and is probably close to 20 years old. I am suspecting there was water in it that froze this winter. I'm not sure how, it was blown out with the drain cap removed. Either way, I have a problem.

1. I am likely going to have to open this thing up to 100% determine that that's the source of the leak. Any other words of advice/wisdom as I tread into these unfamiliar waters?
  2. Is there a used/refurbished market for these things? I'm likely going to opt for the same model as it appears they still make it or at least very similar in hopes the plumbing and gas line up.

After I get it open and assess the source of the leak, I may have more questions. Maybe it's something simple. Crossing fingers.
Remove the three service panels on the sides (two at the manifold, one at the other side), turn on the pump and watch for leaks. If you see none, and there is no leak at the pressure switch inside the cabinet, the leak is likely from the heat exchanger. Twenty years is a very long life for a pool heater that is being used with any regularity.