Hickory, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My in laws have an above ground pool, and have finally agreed to purchase a heater for it. They are fairly high up and live in the woods, so the pool doesn’t get direct sun all day and its freezing.

I’m not sure what sort of info about the pool to include. The pool itself is probably 15 or more years old, but i know the liner is new and probably most of the various motor bits have been replaced over the years. It’s in great shape.

It’s a “15x30’ oval 1 1/2 hp pump with sand filter”. I can ask any other details you guys need. They use chlorine.

It’s doesn’t really hit 80 until early July. It’s sitting at 82-83 now. If they could heat it, they would get a lot more use out of it in the early and later season. 82 isn’t a comfortable temp for my kids. The in laws used to like it that cold, but as they get older, they both are tolerating the pool temps less and it’s sitting empty a lot more often.

Reactions: Debra1952
How many gallons in the pool?

Propane or NG available?

Can they run a 240V 50 amp circuit for a heat pump?

Use this to see how a HP would work in your area ...

Definitely no natural gas. They have a propane tank for the stove, but i don’t know where the line is to know if it’s accessible from the pool area.

Looks like the heat pump thing could work from the estimator thing.

I’m not sure how many gallons it’s supposed to have. That estimator thingy says around 15k. It’s 15x30 and probably 4.5 deep based on where it comes up on my kid. ?

They will likley need a larger propane tank if they added a pool heater. HP is the way you should go if the Pentair calculator says it would work. Get the 140K BTU HP.

How much is electricity in their area? How much is propane? Here, natural gas is cheap, electricity not too bad, but propane would be insane for heating a pool. Really depends on the cost of things where you live.

The Pentair HP Calculator does all the math on that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.