Heater Advice?

giajenx

May 7, 2021
Texas
Our pool is between 8-10k gallons and was built in 2008 (it came with the house when we bought it in 2016.) It has a 400 btu Pentair propane heater (pictured.) It worked well for several years but in 2020 we kept getting an r=8 code. The heater still worked but we had to start turning it off at the breaker when we were done; otherwise it'd just stay on. We had someone come look at it and tell us we just needed a new panel for it, but we never got around to replacing it. Now when we turn it on there's a clicking noise followed by a few shudders, and it's not heating. Two questions: is it beyond repair? Also, if we get a new heater, isn't 400btu overkill for our size pool? Recommendations on size of heater and brand would be appreciated. Many thanks for any advice you can offer!

Attachments

• IMG_7958.jpg
    IMG_7958.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7957.jpg
    IMG_7957.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 31
Normal boot up is 888, 128 and then rX where X is the software revision number.

There is no r=8 code. It sounds like you saw the normal boot sequence.

My guess is the membrane keypad has some stuck buttons. A replacement costs $60 and is easy to plug in...

Does the blower fan begin running when you start the heater?

Post a video on YouTube with a link here of the heater starting running.

Size of heater is up to you. The larger the heater the faster your pool or spa will heat. Pentair or Raypak both make good heaters.

Our pool is between 8-10k gallons and was built in 2008 (it came with the house when we bought it in 2016.) It has a 400 btu Pentair propane heater (pictured.) It worked well for several years but in 2020 we kept getting an r=8 code. The heater still worked but we had to start turning it off at the breaker when we were done; otherwise it'd just stay on. We had someone come look at it and tell us we just needed a new panel for it, but we never got around to replacing it. Now when we turn it on there's a clicking noise followed by a few shudders, and it's not heating. Two questions: is it beyond repair? Also, if we get a new heater, isn't 400btu overkill for our size pool? Recommendations on size of heater and brand would be appreciated. Many thanks for any advice you can offer!
Always get the largest capacity heater you can. You're paying for speed of heating. Heaters usually come in 200k to 400k btu capacity. A 200 doesn't cost half a 400, but can take over twice as long to get to temperature depending on the temperature of the air, wind, etc.

Reactions: giajenx
Normal boot up is 888, 128 and then rX where X is the software revision number.

There is no r=8 code. It sounds like you saw the normal boot sequence.

My guess is the membrane keypad has some stuck buttons. A replacement costs $60 and is easy to plug in...

Does the blower fan begin running when you start the heater?

Post a video on YouTube with a link here of the heater starting running.

Size of heater is up to you. The larger the heater the faster your pool or spa will heat. Pentair or Raypak both make good heaters.
Thanks so much for the info. Here's a link to the video: https://youtube.com/shorts/YKTBcaf9Ldk?feature=share It sounds like it's heating but it wasn't the other night -- or at least it wasn't heating at the regular speed.

Thanks so much for the info. Here's a link to the video: https://youtube.com/shorts/YKTBcaf9Ldk?feature=share It sounds like it's heating but it wasn't the other night -- or at least it wasn't heating at the regular speed.
Is there heat coming from the exhaust? Heaters are on or off, nothing in between on a heater like yours. If you are getting banging, loud clicking, shuddering, it is most likely an internal waterflow issue. Sounded OK in video, but it is short.

Quick question I forgot to ask: how long can a propane pool heater like mine (Pentair 400) be expected to last? I think it was installed in 2009 (we moved here in 2016), so it's 13 years old. I don't want to pour a bunch of money into trying to repair it if the life expectancy isn't terribly long. Thank you!

It depends...much of the effective life span of any heater depends on whether it is cleaned/serviced on a regular basis (not necessarily yearly) . Regular maintenance ( by a qualified service technician ) prevents small problems from turning into much larger problems. Reminds me of the 1970s Fram oil filter ad that states " You can pay me now ($) or you can pay me later ($$$$$)"!

It sounds ok in the video.

Can you post a longer video?

Is it shutting down?

Check the SFS (Stack Flue Sensor) temperature.

Turn the heater on.

The fan will come on for about 30 seconds, then you will hear a click, and the heater should fire.

At that moment, which ever thermostat you are using (POOL or SPA) hold that "On" button down for ~10 seconds.

Display should change from water temp to exhaust temp.

Normal temps should be in the range of 290-350.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, if we get a new heater, isn't 400btu overkill for our size pool?
Do you heat the pool or spa?

If you heat the pool, do you keep it warm or only heat occasionally?

For heating the pool I would go with a 400,000 btu/hr heater if you only heat intermittently.

For heating a spa, I recommend the 200,000 btu/hr heater.

When heating a spa, the return water can get up to about 120 degrees Fahrenheit with a 400,000 btu/hr heater, which can be too hot for people sitting where the return water hits people directly.
how long can a propane pool heater like mine (Pentair 400) be expected to last?
How much propane is in the tank?

Tap on the gauge to make sure that it is not stuck.

1666455038068.png

Last edited:
Now when we turn it on there's a clicking noise followed by a few shudders, and it's not heating.
What do you mean "it's not heating"?

Is it running or shutting off?

If it is running, the stack flue temperature should be correct.

If it is shutting off, check the board for diagnostic lights.

If no diagnostic lights, check the Fenwal Ignition Control Module for a blinking red light.

1666462235399.png

Is there a date on the sticker with the barcode?
There appears to be a sticker but it is completely white (worn or bleached off.) I'm pretty sure it was new in 2009. It's a propane heater and I've read that they last 8-11 years or 8-15 years. My husband read that they should last 20-25. I'm just trying to figure out which is closest to the norm.

What do you mean "it's not heating"?

Is it running or shutting off?

If it is running, the stack flue temperature should be correct.

If it is shutting off, check the board for diagnostic lights.

If no diagnostic lights, check the Fenwal Ignition Control Module for a blinking red light.

View attachment 459219

Thank you. It runs, but the water doesn't get hot. Just barely warm.

Do you heat the pool or spa?

If you heat the pool, do you keep it warm or only heat occasionally?

For heating the pool I would go with a 400,000 btu/hr heater if you only heat intermittently.

For heating a spa, I recommend the 200,000 btu/hr heater.

When heating a spa, the return water can get up to about 120 degrees Fahrenheit with a 400,000 btu/hr heater, which can be too hot for people sitting where the return water hits people directly.

How much propane is in the tank?

Tap on the gauge to make sure that it is not stuck.

View attachment 459216
We just heat the spa -- heating the pool is way too expensive with propane. So far we've been happy with the 400k btu heater, even though, yes, sometimes the return water is super hot. But as long as we keep the temp down, say around 100, the return water seems to be mostly okay. So we do that when the kids/grandkids are around.

I'm not sure I understand the question about how much propane is in the tank. Right now it's at 40%, but we've filled and drained it countless times over the last six years with no problems.

Turn the heater on.

The fan will come on for about 30 seconds, then you will hear a click, and the heater should fire.

At that moment, which ever thermostat you are using (POOL or SPA) hold that "On" button down for ~10 seconds.

It sounds ok in the video.

Can you post a longer video?

Is it shutting down?

Turn the heater on.

I went through the process you described above, but I only got audio of it. As you recommended, I held down the spa button down when the heater kicked in and it flashed 110 (spa temp was 67) Here is the audio; when it started making the clunking noises I saw smoke (or visible exhaust) appear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.