Heater Advice?

Sounds like maybe a flow issue.

Open the thermal regulator plug and remove the regulator to see if it OK.

Look into the regulator hole at the top to see if the internal bypass disc is in place.

Look into the heater inlet to see if the internal bypass spring assembly is ok.

1666467824430.png

1666467814484.png

Somebody told me that while a 200k btu would be sufficient, it would take twice as long to heat up. Is that true?
Yes, but for a spa, it should not take very long.

How many gallons is the spa?

What is the start temperature and the end temperature and how long does it take to get from the start temperature to the end temperature?

Yes, but for a spa, it should not take very long.

How many gallons is the spa?

What is the start temperature and the end temperature and how long does it take to get from the start temperature to the end temperature?
If start temp is 65 and we're heating it to 102, I think it takes about 30-45 mins. We use it a lot in the winter, when the water temps are in the 40s.

Reactions: JamesW
If start temp is 65 and we're heating it to 102, I think it takes about 30-45 mins. We use it a lot in the winter, when the water temps are in the 40s.
I don't know how many gallons the spa is. I think the pool and the spa TOGETHER are 8-10k gallons. And the spa only takes up about 1/4 of that. See pic -

Attachments

• IMG_7957.jpg
    IMG_7957.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 5
Do you heat the pool or spa?

If you heat the pool, do you keep it warm or only heat occasionally?

For heating the pool I would go with a 400,000 btu/hr heater if you only heat intermittently.

For heating a spa, I recommend the 200,000 btu/hr heater.

When heating a spa, the return water can get up to about 120 degrees Fahrenheit with a 400,000 btu/hr heater, which can be too hot for people sitting where the return water hits people directly.

How much propane is in the tank?

Tap on the gauge to make sure that it is not stuck.

View attachment 459216
Sorry, not sure where that "like" came from.
Every person that purchased a smaller capacity heater from me to replace the larger one they once had to save money regretted it. Every one. No one ever believed they wouldn't be happy with the extra time it took to heat a spa until too late. The only time a smaller capacity heater makes sense is when the body of water is kept at temperature. Still takes longer to get there, but it is easier to maintain temp than heat from cold.

Reactions: giajenx
1666493503219.png

This shows the expected temp rise (Y-axis) vs. Flow in GPM (X-axis).

The minimum required flow is 40 gpm.

So, the maximum temp rise should be 16.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

103 + 17 = 120.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL. :p

It's just a picture.

Some people have complained about the return water being too hot at 120 degrees, which is dangerous.

In any case, they can choose whatever heater they like.

View attachment 459318:laughblue:
No dispute there, but that can happen with any size heater. Heater Hi-Limit switches used to be set for 115F but Pentair's are 125F for some reason, with the AGS tripping at 140F. Both have a +/- 8F degree range. (If the heater was built before 2001 that AGS was 150F, crazy hot).

I always recommend that customers never set their temp to higher than 102F on both the heater, and their automation if they have it, just to be safe.

8 to 11 is typical.
Thanks, James. I really appreciate your guideance on all of this. Since 8-11 is typical and ours is 13 years old I think we may just replace it -- it has not been maintained (didn't know we were supposed to have it serviced regularly!) Also, we have extremely hard water so there's probably quite a bit of sludge rolling around in there. Now, for a completely different question: where to buy? The Pentair EC-462029 is $3879 at Leslie's and $2875 on a site called Aqua Supercenter. It's also around $3100 on sites Pool Zoom and Pool Supply Unlimited. Are any of these other suppliers legit?

TradeGrade products must be purchased from a retail store (brick & mortar), pool builder or pool service company to receive a one-year, two-year or three-year warranty.

If purchased online will only receive a sixty-day limited warranty.

View the list of TradeGrade Products.

Ecommerce (EC) products: Products purchased from an Authorized Pentair Online Reseller (products beginning with EC-) receive a one (1) year (parts only) warranty from the date of purchase.

The exceptions are: IntelliChlor cells and IntelliFlo SVRS pumps which receive a two (2) year warranty.

EC products are not eligible for the bundled three (3) year extended warranty.

Trade Grade Products

Heaters MasterTemp High Performance Pool and Spa Heaters 460736

Heaters MasterTemp High Performance Pool and Spa Heaters 460737

Heaters MasterTemp High Performance Pool and Spa Heaters 460775

Heaters MasterTemp High Performance Pool and Spa Heaters 460776

Heaters MasterTemp High Performance Pool and Spa Heaters 461021

Heaters MasterTemp High Performance Pool and Spa Heaters 460805

1666629296172.png

1666628991754.png
1666629019530.png

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.