lukegelinas

Oct 5, 2019
Dartmouth, MA
Hi everyone, I have a Hayward heat pump, model HP21002. It came with the home and pool, which I recently bought. At the time of purchase, the heat pump was not plumbed in; the sellers said it worked, although they said lots of things that were not true (and which I knew at the time probably were not true) :)

I recently plumbed the heat pump into my system. When I turn it on and run water through, I get a low refrigerant pressure reading (LP) on the display. In addition, liquid begins to squirt/dribble out in 2 or 3 places, both at the base and midway up unit. I believe this liquid to be pool water as I tested it with a strip and got the same results as the water in my pool.

My question: Can I conclude from this that the heat pump is junk or unfixable? Might it be repairable? (Is more information needed?) I am just trying to avoid paying an HVAC tech hundreds of dollars to tell me the heat pump is junk. I have attached a couple pictures of the leak below

Attachments

• IMG-0112.jpg
    IMG-0112.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-0113.jpg
    IMG-0113.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 16
You can see parts prices here...

I doubt it makes economic sense to repair an old HP. Better to buy a new one that comes with a warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.