heat pump shutting down before reaching target temp

Spoke to Pentair again, the tech I got this time seems to think its also a flow issue...I run the pump at 2400rpm. Tech seems to think that's barely meeting the 45gpm flow rate. I find it odd that it would be ok at 2400rpm, then shut down later? could the warmer water and colder air temps at night reduce the GPM at that RPM? I think another member had posted about that.

Flow can slow over time due to algae clogging the filter. Some of the algae can settle off the filter when the pump stops and then the cycle repeats.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see if you have an algae problem brewing?

So, further research has led me to believe that heaters/heatpumps in POOL mode top out at 90-95, in SPA mode, they top out at 104.

The Pentair guy was trying to get it into spa mode but couldn't do it, maybe he didn't know what he was doing, maybe I wasn't doing it right.

How do I set up my system so that the heat pump thinks its in spa mode?

You have a problem if that is the case.

You are connected using the RS-485 connection which lets you switch between HEAT and COOL. However your POOL only ET does not let you switch between POOL and SPA modes.

You can rewire the ET to HP connection to use the "firemans switch" which will allow you to put the HP into SPA mode and get to 104. But using the firemans switch the ET cannot control the COOL mode.

hmm

if I was to take the HP off the remote setting, I SHOULD be able to manually set the HP to SPA? That SHOULD let it keep working until it hits 104...right? Once it is off the remote setting, it should use on board temp sensors and pressure sensors to decided to turn on or off?

hmm

if I was to take the HP off the remote setting, I SHOULD be able to manually set the HP to SPA? That SHOULD let it keep working until it hits 104...right? Once it is off the remote setting, it should use on board temp sensors and pressure sensors to decided to turn on or off?

Give it a try.

welp...the HP is still going, I have it set to 99...its already at 97...and still going. Wife just went out to confirm its running and heating...it is...

I'm wondering if it is just something at night that's causing it to stop? I don't see any error messages or anything? Maybe im not looking in the right place?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The HP got the pool up to 99 yesterday! It got to temp, then started cycling, on and off, I turned the set point to 98 and the HP never turned back on, despite the pump running and the water temp dropping down to 96? Air temp hadn't hit the 50's yet. I am at a loss at what it could be?!

Anyone have any ideas???

Updating in case anyone has some more insight,

The heat pump has been working as it should throughout the day, but once it hits target temp, it shuts down and wont start back up even when the water temp drops. I initially thought it was reaching a temp limit of 95 and shutting down. Now it will reach 99 before shutting down and not starting up, regardless of time of day. The temps haven't gotten too cold here, at least not while the heat pump is running. We didn't use it last night, so its kept a lot of heat in. It's currently at 90. At some point I remember the PB telling me there has to be 5 degree difference between the max and set temps, max is 104, temp of 99 would be the 5 degree difference. I have it set to 101 to see if it will hit it or not.

UPDATE

Pentair had the tech come out. Initially the tech (who really didn't know much about pool stuff, more of an HVAC guy) said the heat pump was fine and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I explained again what was going on...after more testing he figured out that the TXV had a restriction. He couldn't give me much info on where, why, or how it was restricted other than the temps on one side were much higher than they should of been. He came back yesterday with the part and swapped it out. He checked all the levels and said it was good to go. I ran the heat pump from around 1:30pm to about 11:30pm. Pool temp went up from 70 to 82. I'll be sure to run the HP plenty and make sure it is fixed FIXED.

UPDATE

Still having the same issue. heater works perfectly on manual mode. when switching to RS/automation it will reach temp most of the time, other times it will not reach temp and shut down and not kick back on unless i move it back to manual mode. I have had multiple people come out, inlcuding the main service rep for the region. The board on the ET has been replaced. still having issues

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.