Flower Mound, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Not for my pool—I’m a virtual assistant in TX and have a client in CA interested in installing a heat pump for his in ground pool & spa that currently has a gas heater.
It’s approx 15-18,000 gallons. He has 12 solar panels on his roof that he feels will offset the cost of a heat pump.
Y’all are always a great source of information—so I figured I’d ask for some input from the community. Any suggestions or wisdom to share with me in this situation?

Welcome to TFP.

Heat pumps are a commodity. They all work the same way with the same basic parts. Pentair, Hawyard, and Jandy for the major pool equipment companies and Aquacal and Build-Rite (recently bought by Hayward) have good equipment.

If the pool has an automation system then consider the HP from the automation vendor or how the selected HP will work with the automation.

Other consideration is who will provide local service to the HP. Folks have found they can buy a HP locally but then cannot find someone locally for warranty work and service.

Once you do some research ask specific questions on equipment being considered.

Reactions: Stitches
Also investigate the weather pattern in OC and how that will effect the HP. HP's work best with 80F air temp with 80% humidity. Orange County CA will struggle to give you those ambient conditions when the HP will be most needed. Also is the pool currently being covered. If not, a HP will be pretty much useless.

Reactions: Stitches
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.