Hayward VS Pentair IntelliChlor

Mathews42

Sep 26, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
Spoke to my PB about switching to a Salt System since learning the Del AOP systems are not all they are cracked up to be. He suggested Hayward and have read a bunch on here about folks with the ic60.
I asked him to look into both.

Any advantages of going one way or another? He's offered to allow me to purchase and have them install the unit so next step would also be creating a shopping list worst case.

Both work fine. I have had both and prefer my IntelliChlor.

The IntelliChlor is more troublefree since you replace all the controlling electronics when your replace the cell. The Aquarite control panel develops various electrical problems over time as it ages.

You would think that the IntelliChlor cell would be much more expensive since it includes new electronics. However an IC40 cell costs about $1,000 and a Hayward T-15 cell costs $900 and a 940 cell $1,200. For $100 I will take new electronics with my new cell.

The one downside of an IntelliChlor cell without Pentair automation is the % generation is in 10% increments. That is easy to work around.

Browse the wikis on both systems...

Reactions: Mathews42
Matt,

If you are doing a standalone SWCG with no automation, then I'd go with the Hayward. But... To do that, your pool needs to be no more than 20K gallons.

If much larger than 20K, then your only choice is an IC60 or a large CircuPool SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Matt,

If you are doing a standalone SWCG with no automation, then I'd go with the Hayward. But... To do that, your pool needs to be no more than 20K gallons.

If much larger than 20K, then your only choice is an IC60 or a large CircuPool SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.
its a 16x32 with a 8-9' sun deck and 4-6' of depth in the rest of the pool. That should put me right around the 20K gallon mark. I like the idea of some automation and variable speed for the pump.

I like the idea of some automation and variable speed for the pump.

Then you should stay with the same manufacturer for automation, SWG, and VS pump so they all work best together.

Matt,

In my mind, having a large VS pump is 'almost' a requirement when you have a SWCG. Having a large VS pump and a SWCG always works better when combined with an automation system... :mrgreen:

Allen is spot on about the pump, the SWCG, and the automation, all being the same brand, so that they can 'talk' with each other.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.