Hayward Superpump Starter switch

db5304

Jun 10, 2016
Pittsburgh
Hello all,

When opening my pool, I forgot to put the basket back in the pump. I was in a hurry because I wanted to get started and get my new Jandy TruClear installed (Which I hope is enough for my pool). I have a Hayward 1hp Superpump (model c48k2n143). I was doing ok, started adding DE, and lost flow rate terribly. I couldn't figure out what was up, and the pump was making a louder than normal humming and racket. I had previously bought a pump rebuild kit, and decided it was time to do it. I removed the starter contact switch thing thinking I needed to to get the impeller off which had become clogged with debris. I put that back on wrong, with a wire caught under it, and the pump wouldn't start after put back together with new gaskets and seals. It also got a small chunk of plastic taken out. I get it back in place although it is now in a sorry state, get everything together, and it starts to run an dis pulling in water, and all of the sudden smoke comes pouring out. I pull the cover off, start it briefly which it runs, and see the smoke pouring out of the cap. I've ordered one on Amazon which should be here sunday. But I can't find the starter switch thing anywhere. Can someone tell me where I might be able to find one? Would my pool store potentially have that and the cap? I'm hoping to get at least one more year out of this pump, and would eventually like to move to a VSP (especially with a SWG).

One additional question, does anyone know if I could mate a VSP up to the existing pump components? Are they universal on haywards, and could I still potentially qualify for a rebate as our electric company is giving $200.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.