Hayward Suction Cleaner Recommendation

May 1, 2014
Lewisville, TX
Hi, all!

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm also looking for some advice on replacing my pool vacuum. When I bought my house seven years ago, I inherited a Haywood Pool Vac XL. To the best of my knowledge, it was purchased when the pool was put in, so it's about 14 years old. I've replaced the shoes every year, the turbine and other internals twice in the past seven years, but it's showing it's age and I'm going to replace it. I replaced the pool pump about four years ago and went from a single speed to a Pentair variable speed.

My question is, should I replace the pool vacuum with the same model, which has worked well over the years, or change to the Haywood Pool Vac V-Flex, which I've been told works better with variable speed pumps. My pool is oval-ish shaped, about 30 ft long and 10 - 13 ft wide. It starts off 3-1/2 ft deep and goes to almost 6 feet. I've estimated it at 13,000 gallons, if all this helps. Haywood has a $100 rebate and Leslie' pools has a sale, so I was thinking of getting it this weekend.

Thanks in advance for your advice! Be well and have a great weekend!

Mike B.

That is not a true robot, as its using suction from your skimmer to power the device.

*MY* recommendation would be to save the $400 the Hayward device costs and put it towards a true electric robot. All it needs is an outlet to run and the pump doesn't even need to be running at the same time.
This is the robot I have and use. It not only cleans the floor exceedingly well, it climbs the walls and brushes up to the water line. And works far, far better than the suction cleaner you're using.

Maddie

That is not a true robot, as its using suction from your skimmer to power the device.

*MY* recommendation would be to save the $400 the Hayward device costs and put it towards a true electric robot. All it needs is an outlet to run and the pump doesn't even need to be running at the same time.
This is the robot I have and use. It not only cleans the floor exceedingly well, it climbs the walls and brushes up to the water line. And works far, far better than the suction cleaner you're using.

Maddie

Hi Maddie.

Thanks for the recommendation, but that's a little out of my price range at the moment. Unfortunately, my child's medical bills take up about 1/3 of our expenses, so I need to penny pinch where I can. The Haywood suction model worked well for us, so I'm changing as little as possible.
Be well and have a great weekend!

Mike B.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.