Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS pump stuck in prime mode.

e1836936

Apr 20, 2013
Florida
Hello all,

My Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS pump is set to start in prime mode. When Priming has finished the pump will then switch to speed V3 (3000 rpm) for a short-time, then switch to speed V1 (1500 rpm) and remain at V1, which I've had it running at continuously for a couple of days to help with cleaning up an algae issue.

However, this morning after I hooked up the vacuum, it stopped moving almost immediately, then I noticed that the pump appears to have switched back into prime mode and is stuck there. The display says "Pr 4.0", which I understand to mean it's in prime mode and will remain there for 4 minutes and 0 seconds, but it just stays there.

The other problem is that none of the buttons are functioning, even though there's been no error code displayed; I can't even "Stop/Resume", so the only way to stop it is to turn the wall mounted timer off, after which when turned on again, the pump still has the same issues.

Any ideas?

I appreciate your feedback!

22568982-87C2-426B-B798-ECFEFBB46A88.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with your exact pump. It has been said that when a Hayward pump that has controls built into it acts funny, Remove the power and leave it off for 3 minutes then restart it and see if that clears it up.

It's normal for the buttons to be disable while in prime mode, but what you describe could also be a defective control unit.

If the 3 minute power cycle does not clear up the issue, I would do a factory reset and see if that helps. The instructions on how to do that can be found at the top of page 17 on your manual. (Note: this will clear your programmed run times and speeds...so you will have to set that back up.)
https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/MaxFloVS.pdf

Reactions: mknauss
I don't have any experience with your exact pump. It has been said that when a Hayward pump that has controls built into it acts funny, Remove the power and leave it off for 3 minutes then restart it and see if that clears it up.

It's normal for the buttons to be disable while in prime mode, but what you describe could also be a defective control unit.

If the 3 minute power cycle does not clear up the issue, I would do a factory reset and see if that helps. The instructions on how to do that can be found at the top of page 17 on your manual. (Note: this will clear your programmed run times and speeds...so you will have to set that back up.)
https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/MaxFloVS.pdf
Thanks!

Unfortunately, neither fixed the issue.

I removed the power and left it off for 3 minutes then restarted it and it did not clear it up.

I followed the instructions of page 17, which state "To reset the pump to factory settings remove power from the
pump. Press and Hold the RUN/STOP button and apply power to the pump. When the pump turns back on it will
display the message above (rESEt) and reset all settings back to factory settings".

This also did not work. When the pump turned back on it still displayed the "Pr 4.0" message.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, neither fixed the issue.

I removed the power and left it off for 3 minutes then restarted it and it did not clear it up.

I followed the instructions of page 17, which state "To reset the pump to factory settings remove power from the
pump. Press and Hold the RUN/STOP button and apply power to the pump. When the pump turns back on it will
display the message above (rESEt) and reset all settings back to factory settings".

This also did not work. When the pump turned back on it still displayed the "Pr 4.0" message.
So you are saying the when you followed the reset procedure (power off - Hold RUN/STOP - Power on) the pump did not display "rESEt" when it powered back up? If that is the case you have an issue that is most likely caused by a bad control board. At any rate you need to engage Hayward support at this point.

So you are saying the when you followed the reset procedure (power off - Hold RUN/STOP - Power on) the pump did not display "rESEt" when it powered back up? If that is the case you have an issue that is most likely caused by a bad control board. At any rate you need to engage Hayward support at this point.
Thanks!

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying.

I tried to engage Hayward support via telephone once and all they did was send me a link to Support Center Quick Reference Guides. What suggestions would you have on how best to engage Hayward support, to actually get help from them?

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying.

I tried to engage Hayward support via telephone once and all they did was send me a link to Support Center Quick Reference Guides. What suggestions would you have on how best to engage Hayward support, to actually get help from them?

I have only contacted them a few times. I called like you did prior to ordering my pool kit with some questions about the Hayward equipment I was buying for automation. All of my questions were answered on the phone during that one call.

Since then I had a question about operational config settings in my automation and I just sent an email to [email protected] and corresponded that way...a couple of replies later I got my answer.

The most recent time I needed warranty replacement on a light and I used the form on their web page. Contact Us Residential Form | Hayward Pool Products This also worked ok...They assign you a case # and after that initial submit from the website it's just normal email replying.

Having said all of that...I took what @1poolman1 said and did some digging and he is correct. They discontinued that pump in 2017...so it's pretty old. I did a quick search online and found very few parts for it other than the basic O-Rings and drain plugs. I did find a site that listed a control board that was compatible with your model as well as the TriStar model. I would definitely ask Hayward if it would work with your pump, it looks totally different. It's pricey at $380, and me personally...I don't think I would spend that much on a pump that old. SPX3200LCD - MaxFlo/TriStar Variable Speed Display - Hayward

I have only contacted them a few times. I called like you did prior to ordering my pool kit with some questions about the Hayward equipment I was buying for automation. All of my questions were answered on the phone during that one call.

Since then I had a question about operational config settings in my automation and I just sent an email to [email protected] and corresponded that way...a couple of replies later I got my answer.

The most recent time I needed warranty replacement on a light and I used the form on their web page. Contact Us Residential Form | Hayward Pool Products This also worked ok...They assign you a case # and after that initial submit from the website it's just normal email replying.

Having said all of that...I took what @1poolman1 said and did some digging and he is correct. They discontinued that pump in 2017...so it's pretty old. I did a quick search online and found very few parts for it other than the basic O-Rings and drain plugs. I did find a site that listed a control board that was compatible with your model as well as the TriStar model. I would definitely ask Hayward if it would work with your pump, it looks totally different. It's pricey at $380, and me personally...I don't think I would spend that much on a pump that old. SPX3200LCD - MaxFlo/TriStar Variable Speed Display - Hayward
Thanks!

I'm going to try the email that you used and see how it goes.

Agreed, that's pricey at $380, and I don't think I would spend that much on this pump, which cost me $649, when I bought it new in 2013.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks!

I'm going to try the email that you used and see how it goes.

Agreed, that's pricey at $380, and I don't think I would spend that much on this pump, which cost me $649, when I bought it new in 2013.
Your version SP2300 had a completely different drive than the EcoStar/TriStar of that time period. It wasn't until the SP2302 that the drives were similar (exact, I don't know). Any board that would fit a TriStar will not fit your pump. A good alternative for you would be a V-Green 165. It will operate very similarly to the pump you have and can be used with a timeclock.

@duckcmmndr, I reached out to Hayward via the email that you used and they replied with the following:

"Please submit your inquiry here to ensure proper routing:
Contact Us Residential Form | Hayward Pool Products

This inbox is no longer in use. Emails sent directly to this address cannot be processed".

I've submitted my inquire via the form and am awaiting their reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: duckcmmndr
Your version SP2300 had a completely different drive than the EcoStar/TriStar of that time period. It wasn't until the SP2302 that the drives were similar (exact, I don't know). Any board that would fit a TriStar will not fit your pump. A good alternative for you would be a V-Green 165. It will operate very similarly to the pump you have and can be used with a timeclock.
Thanks!

That V-green 165 looks interesting, I watched a couple of videos on it and it looks like I'd need several o-rings and gaskets, to make it fit/work properly with my SP2300.

That said, I'm still awaiting a reply to my inquire from Hayward form, so I'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
@duckcmmndr @1poolman1 Well, Hayward wasn't much help. I never heard back them regarding the form that I submitted, so I called them again. This time, they said that since I tried the factory reset twice and it didn't work, the only thing they could do is refer me to an authorized service provider near me.

They gave me three local names and numbers. I called them all two days ago and only got to speak with a ""scheduler" at one of them, who said they charge $125 for a service call, whether they could fix it or not. I had to leave a voicemail with the other two, but hey have not returned my call, yet.

I'm still considering that V-green 165, but the fact that I'd need to find the right o-rings and gaskets plus that it's only a motor and that the strainer cover on my existing unit is starting to become harder & harder to twist on & off to the point where I'm concerned that it'll break or is already, (it doesn't even twist on as much as it used to), are all making me think that a complete new pump, not just a motor might be best.

That said, a friend referred me their pool guy who came out and took a look, and he recommended either a single speed 1hp Jandy FloPro ($895 installed) or a 1.5hp VS Hayward MaxFlo XE ($1,395 installed); each with 1 yr warranty.

I appreicate your feedback!

Last edited:
@duckcmmndr @1poolman1 Well, Hayward wasn't much help. I never heard back them regarding the form that I submitted, so I called them again. This time, they said that since I tried the factory reset twice and it didn't work, the only thing they could do is refer me to an authorized service provider near me.

They gave me three local names and numbers. I called them all two days ago and only got to speak with a ""scheduler" at one of them, who said they charge $125 for a service call, whether they could fix it or not. I had to leave a voicemail with the other two, but hey have not returned my call, yet.

I'm still considering that V-green 165, but the fact that I'd need to find the right o-rings and gaskets plus that it's only a motor and that the strainer cover on my existing unit is starting to become harder & harder to twist on & off to the point where I'm concerned that it'll break or is already, (it doesn't even twist on as much as it used to), are all making me think that a complete new pump, not just a motor might be best.

That said, a friend referred me their pool guy who came out and took a look, and he recommended either a single speed 1hp Jandy FloPro ($895 installed) or a 1.5hp VS Hayward MaxFlo XE ($1,395 installed); each with 1 yr warranty.

I appreicate your feedback!
I would go with a VS...it will pay for the difference in cost in 1 or 2 seasons depending on your runtime. Looks like the average retail price on the 1.65HP Maxflow is $1,200...so your installed price is not bad. Just my .02

Reactions: e1836936
I would go with a VS...it will pay for the difference in cost in 1 or 2 seasons depending on your runtime. Looks like the average retail price on the 1.65HP Maxflow is $1,200...so your installed price is not bad. Just my .02
Thanks!

Agreed, I think a VS is the way to go, for the energy consumption savings in the long run. Which make/model would you recommend?

@1poolman1,

I'm still considering that V-green 165, and found this How To: Install A VGreen 165 Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor
video, on which they're replacing a single speed Hayward Super-2 pump. They disassemble the Super-2 and save some parts to reuse on the V-green, starting with the diffuser, impeller lead ring, impeller, seal plate & rotor plate. Are these the same and only parts from my Max-Flo VS that I'd want to save or if not, which parts do I want save?

Upon putting the old parts on the new V-green, instead of reusing the following old parts, they say to discard & replace them; for each of which I found the OEM Hayward part available on AMZN for the prices listed:

Two-piece shaft seal (SPX2700SA) $15.99
Diffuser o-ring (SX220Z2) $11.87
Housing gasket (GMX600F) $14.66
Strainer cover o-ring (SPX2300Z4) $28.62

That said, do you recommend going with OEM seals, o-rings & gaskets or are aftermarket worthwhile?
Also wondering if you know of a kit available, which might include all of them?

Last edited:
Here's an example of a "Go Kit" that has all the items you need. Basically, only the motor is discarded, seal and O rings replaced.
May be available at a local supply.
Thanks!

Your link says that the manufacturer is Hayward, but that packaging looks like some aftermarket kits that I've seen, like this Aladdin GO 1 Kit for Hayward Max-Flo 1800-2800 .

Does Hayward actually make a kit like this?

In your link the packaging also says "Go Kit 32", which, correct me, if wrong, appears to be for Pentair/Purex Whisperflo Pumps NOT Max-Flo.

Which Go-Kit do I need for my Max-Flo; Go-Kit 1, Go-Kit 32, other?

Also just to confirm; the diffuser, impeller lead ring, impeller, seal plate & rotor plate are the same AND only parts from my Max-Flo VS that I'd want to save and re-use with the new V-green?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.