Hayward RS1500 Pump Will Not Prime

s_mark

Apr 2, 2019
DFW, TX
My Hayward RS1500 pump lost its prime.

The lid had a crack, so I replaced it and the O-ring. It still would not prime.

I disassembled it. The impeller and diffuser were badly worn. I replaced them, the impeller gasket, impeller ring, housing gasket, and the shaft seal. It still will not prime even when I force water into it from one skimmer.

I have tried various combinations of skimmer valve and recirculate/filter settings to no avail.

I am at my wit's end. Any suggestions before I give up and either replace the entire pump or call a repairman?

Last edited:
A trick I tried is to close the inlet to the pump and fill the pump basket with water. Close the basket cover, start the pump, then crack open the inlet until there is flow.

It's a union fitting. I tighten it with a strap wrench. I read about the "bag trick," but have not tried it yet.
I had a suction side union leak also and found some gunk on the face of the non-gasket side. Cleaned that up and was able to fix the suction side leak.

I had a suction side union leak also and found some gunk on the face of the non-gasket side. Cleaned that up and was able to fix the suction side leak.
FWIW - I pressurized the suction side and saw a somewhat bigger than a pinhole leak in the tee-fitting between the valves manifold and pump intake line. I sealed it, then the pump primed and ran as it should.

My Hayward RS1500 pump lost its prime.

The lid had a crack, so I replaced it and the O-ring. It still would not prime.

I disassembled it. The impeller and diffuser were badly worn. I replaced them, the impeller gasket, impeller ring, housing gasket, and the shaft seal. It still will not prime even when I force water into it from one skimmer.

I have tried various combinations of skimmer valve and recirculate/filter settings to no avail.

I am at my wit's end. Any suggestions before I give up and either replace the entire pump or call a repairman?
When you replaced the impeller ring, did you have the larger side face away from the impeller? having that ring in backwards can cause this issue as well.
If you have any questions about the pump, it is a Hayward Super 2 that was re-branded for Leslie's and sold with the RS designation (and that very convenient handle for carrying the pump).

When you replaced the impeller ring, did you have the larger side face away from the impeller? having that ring in backwards can cause this issue as well.
If you have any questions about the pump, it is a Hayward Super 2 that was re-branded for Leslie's and sold with the RS designation (and that very convenient handle for carrying the pump).
Yes, I installed it correctly. I take photos of everything I work on as I disassemble it.

You might have missed my other message in which I resolved the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.