Hayward OmniLogic system loses Wi-Fi configuration

AMSP

Jun 18, 2019
Lee's Summit, MO
I set up the Wifi configuration on the main panel, and everything worked great for about 2 weeks. Today I got the lighting bolt on my web app, and when I checked on the main panel all Wifi configuration settings were gone so I had to start over. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

Reactions: Bobbimcgee71!
I set up the Wifi configuration on the main panel, and everything worked great for about 2 weeks. Today I got the lighting bolt on my web app, and when I checked on the main panel all Wifi configuration settings were gone so I had to start over. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!
Do you have the Hayward branded WiFi bridge attached? If so, it's really not a good wifi bridge. I have the Omnilogic and have this bridge that 2as installed by my builder. The wifi connection this bridge provides is literally the only bad part of our pool build. I love the Omnilogic but I really wish we'd either hardwired ethernet to the box or bought a different wifi bridge. We bought a new wifi router and the Hayward Bridge could even find it. Had to rig up the old router as an AP just to keep the Omnilogic online.

When I have issues with the wifi I disconnect the bridge, shut down the system completely (flip the breaker to the control panel and everything), then reconnect the bridge and reboot the system. It has worked every time so far.

The Omnilogic HLWLAN antenna is actually a rebranded EnGenius ENS202EXT acting in bridge mode. It's worth noting that Pentair is also using that same device as a WiFi bridge for their new IntelliCenter.

I suspect that all the WiFi settings are actually stored on the ENS202EXT and the automation system is simply modifying them. With the original EnGenius firmware there is a web interface where you can change them directly but I don't know if Hayward/Pentair have disabled that.

@LordDunlow If you cannot connect to your new router, check that it's using WPA2-PSK and not WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK Mixed (also AES encryption required). If not the AP does show but it won't connect.

Thanks!
I figured it out today! We’ve had our Omnilogic in for a week and every single night the connection would get messed up and I got the lightening bolt in the app. In order to get it working again, I had to physically unplug the router and modem then reconnect the panel to the internet. My internet provider was no help and Hayward is clueless! I resorted to my IT friend and he’s saying at night something in my house is running a update and takes the IP address from the panel and basically cuts off the connection from panel to router. He ended up creating a static IP for the panel and also did port forwarding and that’s what did it. I have yet to loose the connection. I really wish Hayward would be a little more knowledgable on this kind of stuff. They were zero help and kept emailing me “troubleshooting”guides that had nothing to do with what my IT friend just did. I hope someone else sees this and doesn’t have to spend countless hours on the phone with your internet provider and Hayward. You’ll get no where. Hire a IT guy and tell them you need a static IP set up and port forwarding and issue is solved

• Wow
I figured it out today! We’ve had our Omnilogic in for a week and every single night the connection would get messed up and I got the lightening bolt in the app. In order to get it working again, I had to physically unplug the router and modem then reconnect the panel to the internet. My internet provider was no help and Hayward is clueless! I resorted to my IT friend and he’s saying at night something in my house is running a update and takes the IP address from the panel and basically cuts off the connection from panel to router. He ended up creating a static IP for the panel and also did port forwarding and that’s what did it. I have yet to loose the connection. I really wish Hayward would be a little more knowledgable on this kind of stuff. They were zero help and kept emailing me “troubleshooting”guides that had nothing to do with what my IT friend just did. I hope someone else sees this and doesn’t have to spend countless hours on the phone with your internet provider and Hayward. You’ll get no where. Hire a IT guy and tell them you need a static IP set up and port forwarding and issue is solved

Is there a "for dummies" guide for this? I have the exact same problem. Every day I have to unplug power from the modem and router and then plug them back in to re-establish wireless connection with the Omnilogic.

Thanks!
YES! This happens once a week, at least. I feel that it’s like “cache” is getting full or something and when you shut it off AT THE PUMP, then back on, then I can again connect from my iPhone. What can I do to fix this. We’re seriously tired of it and feel that we’re not the only ones having this issue. Now I see something here about setting up a dedicated IP address but I have no clue how to do any of the things that the guy who’s IT friend set all this up and never had the problem again. With all this said, can someone at Hayward please send an email to your subscribers on how to fix this, like a step by step method as to fixing this disconnect issue. Oh pahleeze, Hayward???

Can you or your IT friend explain how to do this fix, oh pahleez? I’m so tired of having to go out and turn it all off at the pump. I believe that Hayward should immediately address this known issue. Hayward????

The Omnilogic HLWLAN antenna is actually a rebranded EnGenius ENS202EXT acting in bridge mode. It's worth noting that Pentair is also using that same device as a WiFi bridge for their new IntelliCenter.

I suspect that all the WiFi settings are actually stored on the ENS202EXT and the automation system is simply modifying them. With the original EnGenius firmware there is a web interface where you can change them directly but I don't know if Hayward/Pentair have disabled that.

@LordDunlow If you cannot connect to your new router, check that it's using WPA2-PSK and not WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK Mixed (also AES encryption required). If not the AP does show but it won't connect.

The OmniLogic HLWLAN (EnGenius ENS202EXT) has been nothing but problems with OmniLogic controllers for us, especially when trying to connect to the ISP-provided modem/router/wifi combo box (primarily Spectrum/Charter in my area). The best solution for us has been to remove the HLWLAN and replace it with a TP-Link CPE210 in client/bridge mode. This does require a little bit of computer networking knowledge and a computer with an available ethernet port to configure the TP-Link CPE210, but works perfectly and can be configured in 10 minutes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The OmniLogic HLWLAN (EnGenius ENS202EXT) has been nothing but problems with OmniLogic controllers for us, especially when trying to connect to the ISP-provided modem/router/wifi combo box (primarily Spectrum/Charter in my area). The best solution for us has been to remove the HLWLAN and replace it with a TP-Link CPE210 in client/bridge mode. This does require a little bit of computer networking knowledge and a computer with an available ethernet port to configure the TP-Link CPE210, but works perfectly and can be configured in 10 minutes.
Thanks for the recommendation. We are upgrading to the TP-Link right now. Can you share your settings to set it up to work with the Omnilogic?

Can you share how you setup the TP-Link CPE210. I can't even connect my omnilogic system to my wifi network. Just moved into a house with this setup and the HLWLAN is installed. Seems after a lot of googling, the HLWLAN is nothing but problems. Just trying anything to get my system connected to the internet.

Did you get POE to work? I setup the CPE, and it doesn't light up without plugging it in to the AC adapter. Just curious.

SOLVED: The OmniLogic HLWLAN (EnGenius ENS202EXT) for me would not work after resetting. No one can tell you what the initial setup mode is for the ENS202EXT. Client, Bridge, Router, WDS, etc. The settings for each mode are different. Hayward should provide initial set-up for the HLWLAN internally. The OminiLogic set up is straight forward and simple enough. SOLUTION: Linksys RE6300 AC750 Extender. Set Omni Logic Network to Wired not Wireless. Plug the RE6300 into the nearest outlet to the Omni Logic Panel. I installed an external one mounted to the side of the Panel box. Connect Cat 5E to Omni Logic controller and RE6300. Log into RE6300 with laptop and follow easy steps to find your wireless network (SSID). ENJOY WIRELESS CONTROL OF YOUR OMNI LOGIC from Cell phone APP,

This thread was the first hit when I Googled a solution to constant Hayward WiFi disconnects.

As someone in IT for over 30 years, the Static IP and Port Forwarding made sense. I implemented both and my Omnilogic HLWLAN antenna (EnGenius ENS202EXT) is working as it should.

I hope this clarifies what needs to be updated in easy to understand terms.

1. Google the steps to access your home router admin page.

2. In my case it was found by accessing the Advanced screen in my TP-LINK Deco app for my M9 Plus router

2. Google the steps to set a static IP and steps for port forwarding.

3. In my case, there is a screen that says address reservation in the Deco App.

4. Find the IP Address of the Omni Logic controller. It's on the Hayward controller screen in the box by you pool pump and also in the network client table/list of all your devices found in your Router's Admin page.

5. Follow the instructions you Googled to set a Static IP with the Address you located.

6. Follow the instructions you Googled to forward the port for that IP. You will need to know the external port. Enter the default, which is "5858," without the quotes unless it was changed. To verify, it's on the same screen in your Hayward controller box.

7. If there's internal port option next to the external port, it can be left blank in most cases.

8. Save your settings and reboot your router

9. Enjoy trouble-free connectivity

Last edited:
Reactions: Winter247
In addition to setting a static IP, I would also be looking to find the offending app that is using an already assigned IP and correct at that point. Using a static IP on your Omni may work, but any other device in your home will most likely be assigned that address at some point, and then the issue will have just moved to another device. To be clear, this is not an Omni issue. Any device set to auto IP will simply use the assigned IP that the router gives it. Generally, most routers start at the low end of the assigned range for IP's and hand them out as requested.

Another thing to look at is where your builder mounted the external antenna. It is supposed to be mounted on a wall away from the Omni enclosure. Metal kills a wifi signal. My builder mounted my antenna on the side of the Omni enclosure, low enough that both antennas were affected by the metal enclosure. My wifi signal was only 35%, and sometimes dropped out and lost connection. I moved the antenna up so both antenna leads were above the enclosure, and signal jumped to 86%. No more issues!

Last edited:
I am a new Omilogic owner, set up ethernet network connection a few days ago, worked like a charm yesterday and today will not connect via App or Web Browser. Is there a Web server outage or something?

The panel shows network / internet connection (4 x checks), I even upgraded the firmware on panel later today. I have a static IP on my ethernet connection and it shows connected and passes all diagnostics.

I have read people with tons of issues with the app and the web server, is this a common issue? My pool builders are meant to install Wireless antenna but I would prefer to keep ethernet.

I am also planning on using my pool controller with Control 4, will this bypass the Hayward web server?

For the first time in two years, my OmniLogic lost connection this morning, and wouldn't reconnect to the network. It would see the network, I would enter the password, it would says "configuring network", then it failed.

The only thing that has changed is that I upgraded my old Netgear Orbi mesh system to the newer RBR850 Wifi 6 Orbi. Looking at my new Orbi settings, I found that if I went into advanced wireless configuration and disabled AX support for 2.4Ghz, my Omni connected fine to the network.

AX support is specifically for Wifi 6 devices... and I know of no wifi 6 devices that use 2.4Ghz if 5Ghz is available. Looking on the internet, I see that a large number of 2.4Ghz devices have issues authenticating to a network with wifi 6 options enabled. Surprise, surprise.

Just sharing in case someone else runs into this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.