Hayward maxflo VS 500 will not come on. HELP!!

3kidsAndAPool

Apr 17, 2021
Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It’s been raining all day and I have an auto cover, so I just went out to do my water testing for the day. When I opened the cover, I noticed that the weir doors were closed and the returns weren’t pushing water. I went over to check the pump, and it’s completely off. It isn’t lit up at all, like it’s dead. I checked all breakers and even though none were tripped, I flipped them any way to see if I could get it to work. Nothing. Any suggestions before calling the PB tomorrow??
The first filter they installed had a leak so they replaced it at the end of last summer since it was still under warranty. So, this one has only seen the end of last summer and this summer.

It wouldn't be the filter. No life at the pump motor requires a bit more electrical troubleshooting. Checking power to the pump itself, capacitors, etc. If your VSP is connected to any additional automation let us know. But if it's just the VSP itself and resetting the breakers themselves didn't work, with no means to do some electrical troubleshooting, you might have to rely on the techs tomorrow. As a last resort, try leaving power off to the unit for a few hours. Perhaps it overheated and tripped itself off requiring some cool-down time. If your pump has a display and is showing any error codes let us know. Maybe others will have a thought or two.

I
It wouldn't be the filter. No life at the pump motor requires a bit more electrical troubleshooting. Checking power to the pump itself, capacitors, etc. If your VSP is connected to any additional automation let us know. But if it's just the VSP itself and resetting the breakers themselves didn't work, with no means to do some electrical troubleshooting, you might have to rely on the techs tomorrow. As a last resort, try leaving power off to the unit for a few hours. Perhaps it overheated and tripped itself off requiring some cool-down time. If your pump has a display and is showing any error codes let us know. Maybe others will have a thought or two.
I didn’t meant to say filter, I meant the pump. They replaced the pump last summer. Sorry about the confusion 😆
What do you mean by “additional automation?” There are no error codes, the screen is completely black.
I will flip the breaker off for awhile and check in again in a bit to see if that helps. Thank you!

What do you mean by “additional automation?”
Some people have their automated products connected to an overall interface program. You would know it if you did, so I suspect you don't use any other automation other than the pump controls itself. Let us know if the power off helped to reset it.

Reactions: 3kidsAndAPool
Some people have their automated products connected to an overall interface program. You would know it if you did, so I suspect you don't use any other automation other than the pump controls itself. Let us know if the power off helped to reset it.
I gotcha. No, we just use the pump controls. The power off didn’t work so I have a call in to the builder. Waiting to hear back. Is there anything I can do to move the water? How long can it sit with the pump off and be ok? I do have it covered .

Pour a few ppm of LC into the pool every day or two and stir it with your pool brush to keep the water clear until you get the pump running.

How do you chlorinate your pool?

Pour a few ppm of LC into the pool every day or two and stir it with your pool brush to keep the water clear until you get the pump running.

How do you chlorinate your pool?
I use liquid chlorine. I thought about taking the hose off of the cover pump and putting that in to circulate for awhile?

I thought about taking the hose off of the cover pump and putting that in to circulate for awhile?
Sure! Anything to help move the chlorine around. You might still need to brush a bit, but everything helps.

I use liquid chlorine. I thought about taking the hose off of the cover pump and putting that in to circulate for awhile?

Then just add your normal amount of liquid chlorine and stir it in.

I know nothing about how cover pumps work. I thought some were hydraulic. That will not work as a pool pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.