Hayward Max-flo VS SP2300ZLV NO POWER

adam2817

Oct 5, 2022
Fort Myers
we just got done with Hurricane Ian and prior, I turned off the breaker to the pool just in case we got water, it wouldnt burn out and short the pump. Home now, turned on the breaker and nothing. No display. I checked that I have power to the motor and I have power. Motor is doing nothing. Display is off and doing nothing. My display is not even the same as in any manual I've found. Do i need a new pump or am i doing something wrong? This is a new home and a new pool pump for me.

Attachments

• 20221005_133432.jpg
    20221005_133432.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221005_140442.jpg
    20221005_140442.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 14
Welcome to TFP.

How did you check that you have power to the motor?

Did you open up the back of the motor and test with a multimeter that you have 240V between L1 and L2 wires?

Yes , The same issue with me, 18" of wind driven rain here. Different motor, but same concept, IMO water intrusion to the main control board (in my case anyway). Just not adequate seal protections on these type of motor setups. I will be constructing a doghouse/shelter for my next vs pump.
Here's a look at my components and the main board on the motor. I dried them up/cleaned them up with no luck. Still dead. good luck to Ya.

Pete

Attachments

• 20220930_081245.jpg
    20220930_081245.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221003_150454.jpg
    20221003_150454.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 20
we just got done with Hurricane Ian and prior, I turned off the breaker to the pool just in case we got water, it wouldnt burn out and short the pump. Home now, turned on the breaker and nothing. No display. I checked that I have power to the motor and I have power. Motor is doing nothing. Display is off and doing nothing. My display is not even the same as in any manual I've found. Do i need a new pump or am i doing something wrong? This is a new home and a new pool pump for me.
Yes, I checked with a meter. 110/1120 at each pole.

Tell us how you are measuring that you have 120V on each leg?

I think you have 120V on one leg that is feeding the other leg through the motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tell us how you are measuring that you have 120V on each leg?

I think you have 120V on one leg that is feeding the other leg through the motor.
Volt meter. At the breaker box. Probe to one side of the breaker and One to ground. I test both poles the same way. Then I test at the pump end. Each are measuring 120v. Probe to wire and probe to ground. When I go across from 120v line to 120v line (L1 and L2) I do not get 240v I also don't see how I would. Since I don't have a ground

At the breaker box. Probe to one side of the breaker and One to ground.

At the breaker test voltage across the two hot lines on the breaker.

You don't need a ground for 240V on a 240V line. Voltage is across the two hots, not to ground.

Post a pic of your breaker.

At the breaker test voltage across the two hot lines on the breaker.

You don't need a ground for 240V on a 240V line. Voltage is across the two hots, not to ground.

Post a pic of your breaker.
This is what I got. I tested the black and red feeds into the breaker panel. Got 240. I tested across the breaker and got a weird reading. As seen in the attached photo. I'm beginning to think you guys are on to something. Like a bad breaker.

Attachments

• 20221005_170708.jpg
    20221005_170708.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 16
That electrical panel has lots of corrosion on it. It is not surprising the breaker has failed.

Replace the breaker with a 240V GFCI CB for a Square D panel.

Look at the label on the door or left side for a list of the breakers compatible with your panel.

While you are replacing breakers that 60 amp breaker next to it looks pretty ratty. I would replace that also. What does the 60A breaker feed?

Last edited:
That electrical panel has lots of corrosion on it. It is not surprising the breaker has failed.

Replace the breaker with a 240V GFCI CB for a Square D panel.

Look at the label on the door or left side for a list of the breakers compatible with your panel.

While you are replacing breakers that 60 amp breaker next to it looks pretty ratty. I would replace that also. What does the 60A breaker feed?
It used to feed a Pool Heater, but that is not here. I am going to replace it with a 30A 220, so I can use.my henerator to backfeed a few lines when the power goes out again. But as of now, it feeds nothing.
And everything else in this house is a bit ratty. 3 months new to my family and here we are! Florida almost drown me!
I'll get the breaker and let you guys know tomorrow how it went. Thanks for sticking with me! Very much appreciated.

I am going to replace it with a 30A 220, so I can use.my henerator to backfeed a few lines when the power goes out again.

Make sure you do that properly with the proper grid disconnect, transfer switch, and signage so that it is safe for electrical workers working in your area during a power outage.

Reactions: adam2817
You have 240 across the L1 and L2 screws on the pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.