Nashville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have two Hayward light fixtures: SP0573LN50. The previous owner/maintainer used a screw with very broad threads for plastic where they should have used a machine screw and based on forum advice, I ended up drilling it with an air drill. I was quite proud of myself. I changed the light bulb in both fixtures. A few weeks later one bulb was flashing and a bit later the gfci tripped. I pulled the lights. One had water in it. I let it dry, changed the seal, and put it back. The gfci is tripping again so I assume it is now full of water again. I have new gaskets and I bought new retainer clamps for when I pull the lights out again.

I have two questions:
1. How tight should I tighten the retainer clamp? SPX0580B.
2. Is there a certain orientation for the retainer clamp?

Attachments

• IMG_3571.jpg
    IMG_3571.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3595.jpg
    IMG_3595.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 9
In 30 + years, I have only worked on one or two standard Hayward lights, so don't remember the clamp. They're not that popular in this area. Going by the most prevalent light out there, the Amerilite, the clamp comes from the factory tightened as tight as it can be, the ends of the clamping ring are touching.
If a new gasket was used (and installed correctly, some are directional), the lens and container cleaned, the clamp very tight, and there is water found in the fixture again, I would suspect the cord entrance at the back of the light.

Reactions: ducttapekz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.