Hayward Heater Service Light

Dilbydog

Silver Supporter
Jan 14, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Everyone,
New home and new pool owner. I’ve a huge fan of the forum, as folks here have helped tremendously. From equipment issues to getting my chemistry dialed in. I have one last issue that I want to tackle with my Hayward H series heater.

Some background:
The previous owner set the heater at 68 degrees, we’re assuming to keep the salt cell functioning. I’ve been told by folks here that this is a horrible idea, as the condensation will damage the unit. As such I’ve tuned off the salt cell, and the heater until the Season starts. The service light was not illuminated when the system was running in this fashion. Either with the pump on or off.

When off, the service light is illuminated, with the code ‘LO’. After going through the owners manual, it appears the code is completely normal when the pump is off and there is no flow. When the pump is running, the service light extinguishes and the unit displays code ‘bO’ which also appears normal as it would be in bypass operation controlled by my Goldline unit. It would appear both codes are normal given the operation mode. But I cannot establish why the service light is on, or how to begin troubleshooting the problem. The unit will fire up and heat the pool if commanded by the automation system.

Thanks,
Dill

I do not know your automation system well but with my EasyTouch I just disable the Heat function within my Pool mode. The heater stays off, no lights. It is enabled in Spa mode, and fires up if I select that mode.

Others here on the forum know your system better so I am sure they will advise.

FYI -- I reset my SWCG to operate today. My pool water is 65F. Our 80F+ days have warmed things up.

Take care.

I do not know your automation system well but with my EasyTouch I just disable the Heat function within my Pool mode. The heater stays off, no lights. It is enabled in Spa mode, and fires up if I select that mode.

Others here on the forum know your system better so I am sure they will advise.

FYI -- I reset my SWCG to operate today. My pool water is 65F. Our 80F+ days have warmed things up.

Take care.

Hey Marty,
How are you doing? Yeah, it been unseasonably warm, pool water is around 58. The misses is bugging me to fire up the heater with the nice weather, but I want to address this heater issue first. That and even with my SWG off for the last two weeks my FC is still around 16. That’s down a lot from the 55+ it was, but still not below 10 so I can’t check and address the rest of my chemistry. Hope all is well.

Dill

When any error code is displayed on the unit, the "Service" light will also be lit as well. As you noticed, when the pump activates, the service like goes away as does the "LO". Completely normal operation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.