Jun 29, 2018
warren
Heater starts for 2-3 seconds, I can see the flames, then the heater shuts off. If I cycle thru the standby/spa/pool settings then I can get it working for 15-20 seconds max. Orifices are clean. I measured 22V on the valve. My heater doesn't have flame sensor (I wasn't able to find it). Any ideas?

Welcome to TFP.

Have you checked the static and dynamic gas pressures with a manometer?

@swamprat69 may have ideas.

Attachments

• H Series Electronic Installation Guide-1.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Thank you for the quick response! No, I didn't check the pressure. Will get the manometer and check it out. However, the heater worked just fine the previous season and nothing changed in the gas line since then. So, I kind of doubt that this could be the reason. The flame, when it works, goes up 10-12 inches. Could it be the water flow censor or one of the temperature level censors?

Your gas meter could be failing; you could have condensate in your gas line; the gas valve could be failing; just because it worked last season does not mean something did not change.

Could it be the water flow censor or one of the temperature level censors?

Nope.

Did you replace the pilot assembly?

I think it is working because the flames are up. The problem is that the heater shuts down after 15 seconds.

I understand the problem and a heater that shuts down after 15 seconds is not working in my book.

You likely have a flame sense problem and the igniter is often used as the flame sensor once the heater is running. I don't know the specifics of your model.

It could also be corrosion in grounds messing up the flame sensing. What does the heater look like inside?

Reporting back: you were right!
I pulled out the ignitor, cleaned it using sand paper, removed every bit of rust on ignitor itself, all connecting screws and surfaces. I also removed a lot of garbage from the bottom of the heater. Don't know if the latter part has actually contributed to the result.
I had to repeat the exercise with the ignitor few times and every iteration I observed that heater was working for longer time (10 sec -> 15 -> 30) which gave m me hope that I'm working on the right thing. Finally it worked.
Thanks!