Hayward H150 pilot won't stay lit

Rjs5244

Jul 21, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Hayward H150 millivolt

Pilot lights with a nice blue flame and puts out a decent voltage but won't stay lit when you release the button. I removed the wires on the valve for the safety and jumped the two terminals to bypass that system and I still have the issue. I removed the wires for the thermocouple and hooked up a AA battery to make sure that wasn't the issue and it still won't work.

My guess is there is corrosion inside the pilot valve and the magnet isn't strong enough to break it free. The main valve was stuck when I first went to use it this summer. Any thought on how to free up the pilot valve?

Attachments

• IMG_20190707_143757.jpg
    IMG_20190707_143757.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 5
Couple of things...
How much voltage it the generator/power pile putting out?

When you stated... I removed the wires on the valve for the safety did you remove all of them? If so jumping the terminals doesn't work that way. You need to have the power pile wires connected to do this.

No user serviceable parts in these gas valves. Once they go bad they need to be replaced.

Dan

When it is disconnected, the thermopile puts out around 550mV, connected it reads around 350mV. It seems to be enough because when it is putting out that voltage, I removed one lead and tapped it on the it's respective post I can hear a click in the valve as if something is engaging.

At first, I removed the two white wires and jumped those posts together. Then I removes the thermopile wires and replaced that with a AA battery to activate the magnet for the pilot valve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.