Hayward filter pressure high

GMTK

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
San Antonio
Cleaned the filters about 45 days ago. Cleaned out the plastic basket in the pump housing. Pressure still at the max. Water level in pool is normal. Is it time to buy new filters? They are approx 5 years old. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_7501.jpeg
    IMG_7501.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 27
Good morning from here in a very chilly S.A.. Your Poolmath logs are not up to date. The last one (2 months ago) shows a very low FC level which could mean algae. That would explain an elevated pressure in the filter. Can you post a full set of test results?

GMTK,

What color is your water??? Is it green or cloudy???

Most cartridges last 5 to 10 years, so it could not hurt to replace them... but... It could just as well be algae, or a bad gauge.

If you can clean the cartridges and the pressure is ok for a couple days and then goes back up, then most likely you have algae.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just updated my test results online. Everything is normal. Pool is crystal clear and looks great. I don't see any algae in the pool or equipment. The gauge is also fairly new - 3 years ago. Filters actually looked good when I cleaned them. I will go out and turn the system off and see what the gauge does. Only think I put in the pool is liquid chlorine and liquid muriatic acid. Could I possibly have a blockage in my pipes?

The numbers you posted look good. I would first confirm the condition of that gauge. Even at just 3 years, weird things can happen. I don't think those Hayward OEM gauges are glycerin fill either, so it may have gone bad. You might also consider removing the gauge and checking to ensure some debris hasn't gotten stuck somewhere in the tiny pinholes between the gauge and the top of the filter.

If you are confident the gauge is serviceable, then consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to be safe about algae, especially if you observe less water flow at the return jets.

Update:
Needle goes to 0 when system is off.
Took the cover off the filter housing and didn't see any debris at all. Removed the gauge and hit it with compressed air and didn't see anything noteworthy. Also checked my skimmer baskets and the device under them, all clear. Pipes inside the skimmer were also clear. Gauge was purchased Sept. 2019. Going to check for overnight chlorine loss tonight and report back.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pressure still at the max.

GMTK,

Sorry, I am confused... :scratch:

You say the pressure is a the 'max' and then say it is 20 lbs...

Depending on the HP of your pump, 20 lbs. may be fine..

If it used be, say 10 lbs. and is now 20 lbs. then I would replace the cartridges.

What makes you think 20 lbs. is the max??

Thanks,

Jim R.

The red and green arrows in the pressure gauge should just be ignored. They don't truly reflect any sort of min/max or clean/dirty levels. More importantly, you should not rely on those when determining when to clean the filter.

The last time you cleaned the filter, what was the pressure reading (i.e. black arrow)?

Reactions: Newdude
+1 with Mas. The +10 psi rec on the gauge doesn't account for your situation. My VS pump, for example, normally runs about 3 PSI and something would be terribly wrong to ever see 13 psi at low RPMs. Even at full bore in the low 20s, it would be a 50% restriction and likely way too much.

So we rec cleaning at a 25% increase which considers your baseline PSI. Some fine tune it further when they have lower flow at 20%, or still plenty of flow at 35%, but it's a good starting point for the masses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.