Hayward ColorLogic Lights and OmniDirect Mode

kernst

Apr 13, 2015
Tulsa, OK
I'm getting ready to replace two blown out generic LED low voltage pool lights and I'm interested in the new OmniDirect Mode of the ColorLogic lights, but I'm having a hard time finding information about this new mode and their connection to an OmniLogic system. My current lights (one in pool, one in hot tub) are both run through independent transformers and switched via the OmniLogic unit. If I replace these lights with ColorLogic lights, will they still connect to the transformers, or wire directly into the OmniLogic somehow? If they are wired to the existing transformers, is there anything additional I will need in terms of installation for the OmniDirect feature to work as advertised? How would such an install be able to change to a chosen color without switching via the transformer?

If anyone has any Hayward published info regarding the new mode, installation, or OmniLogic setup for them that they could pass along, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the assistance.
Kurt

I'm getting ready to replace two blown out generic LED low voltage pool lights and I'm interested in the new OmniDirect Mode of the ColorLogic lights, but I'm having a hard time finding information about this new mode and their connection to an OmniLogic system. My current lights (one in pool, one in hot tub) are both run through independent transformers and switched via the OmniLogic unit. If I replace these lights with ColorLogic lights, will they still connect to the transformers, or wire directly into the OmniLogic somehow? If they are wired to the existing transformers, is there anything additional I will need in terms of installation for the OmniDirect feature to work as advertised? How would such an install be able to change to a chosen color without switching via the transformer?

If anyone has any Hayward published info regarding the new mode, installation, or OmniLogic setup for them that they could pass along, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the assistance.
Kurt

very curious of the same.. I have the ColorLogic switched lights, 4 years old and am curious if these work with the directMode. From what I read on the firmware pages you have to be connected to the main panel relay NOT the relay BANK add-ons. I am currently on the relay banks and will have to move. May play around this weekend and see if it works.

mike

You need the new lights AND the latest Omni software (3.0 or 3.01). Then there's an option when choosing which light, during configuration, to pick the Omni Direct lights. Or, if you already have your "UCL 14V" lights properly set up, you can edit config and get to the light info, there should be an option you can choose in this menu for the Omni Direct. This will give you "another menu" in the lights section where you have a bar to adjust brightness. You can also adjust the speed of the light shows.

Just for full disclosure, I haven't got a chance to fully configure and try the new light setup. We just installed an Omni with the new lights, but aren't to the point where we've fully programmed everything. I plan on fully setting up this system next week. If you go through the setup and still have issues/questions, let me know and I'll check back here after I set things up.

Still have not heard back from Hayward, typical for non-installer support. :(

I'm still a little confused, so I DON'T need a transformer for each light? If not, how do I wire each light into my OmniLogic unit?

Thanks,
Kurt

Currently running OmniLogic and connected to stand alone transformer via relay with 3 color logic lights. Actually just replaced 1 of them, not sure what my firmware is. And yes I get all the colors and the stock themes.

I think I missed that you have a pool light and a spa light. In that case, you'd need a transformer for each of them. The 110V power supply for each transformer would be supplied through the Omni relay bank. Just so we're all on the same page..............you do currently control your lights through an Omni Logic controller, right?

Just so we're all on the same page..............you do currently control your lights through an Omni Logic controller, right?

Yes, currently have them connected OmniLogic high-voltage relay-> transformer -> low-voltage LED light. Two relays and two transformers, one for pool, one for spa. Currently to change light colors the omni switches the transformers on/off for each color change. It's my understanding that the OmniDirect mode does not switch the transformer on/off to cycle through the colors, correct? If that's the case, is the transformer still needed with the OmniDirect mode lights, or do they connect directly to the OmniLogic via a low voltage relay???

That helps. The name may be a bit misleading, but the OmniDirect lights are wired exactly the same way. You are correct in that the lights don't actually click through each color anymore, plus you get the ability to dim your lights, change the speed at which they go through colors on shows and additional colors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi all! I have a couple questions:
1. How do we know if a light is ”new”? My lights are 3 years old and not compatible (I tested them on the OmniLogic). Hayward is replacing a couple of bad units for me and it would be awesome if the new ones were compatible. Can you tell by serial number?
2. Are new Colorlogic 320 lights also OmniDirect compatible? I have a mix in my pool so it’ll be all or nothing for me.
Thanks in advance!

My pool is about a year old. I have the UCL 14V. I Just upgraded my MSP to the latest r3.1.0. I tested for the Omnidirect via the config and it didn't work. The config told me I had to upgrade my MP which I did and it somewhat works. The new fixed colors are there and but the colors themselves are off. "Burnt orange" is something else, etc. So I have 20 fixed colors but the new lights shows didn't show up. I'm going to keep playing with it and see if I can get it working better.

Derrick
"First time caller, long time listener"

Reactions: LMacias
any updates on this? I am looking to replace my lights now as they are both not properly working. I have transformers for both that then go to the MPP OmniLogic panel. What lights (model#'s) do I need for omniDirect and is there anything out there for wiring diagrams, setup instructions?

My pool is about a year old. I have the UCL 14V. I Just upgraded my MSP to the latest r3.1.0. I tested for the Omnidirect via the config and it didn't work. The config told me I had to upgrade my MP which I did and it somewhat works. The new fixed colors are there and but the colors themselves are off. "Burnt orange" is something else, etc. So I have 20 fixed colors but the new lights shows didn't show up. I'm going to keep playing with it and see if I can get it working better.

Derrick
"First time caller, long time listener"
Derrick,
Did you have any luck with yours? I am able to get Omnidirect to work, but I am having the same issue as you, ie I set the lights to white but they turn blue etc.

Solved.. Check my post in the other thread:

ColorLogic lights with Omni

hope it helps.. let me know if I can answer anything.

mike
That's awesome Mike. Best guess for me is that one or more of my lights don't have that blue dot on the box. I have 5 total and they have all been replaced by the service tech over the past year, but I hvae no way of knowing really what year lights they are. When I run the test they do not flash white as the omnilogic says they should. They just stay one constant color. Then if I put them in omnidirect mode they work, but the actaul colors being displayed are incorrect, ie if I tell the controller to go white it goes to maybe orange etc. It's not the end of the world, but it would have been fun to have more options on the lights.

Reactions: LMacias
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.