ColorLogic lights with Omni

browerjs

Oct 30, 2019
Beavercreek, OH
Had our pool put in last fall, and I ended up having them switch out the single speed pump with a VS Omni system this spring. It's still a bit of an ongoing process, but anyways, they just got the lights hooked up yesterday and I'm trying to figure out if what they are doing is normal behavior.

1. Clicking on a color in the app, shows a different color - obviously this is wrong, but what's the issue?
2. When changing colors or shows, the lights change through several colors slowly. Should it just switch instantly.
3. When changing colors there is a loud click from the relay for each "cycle" until it gets to the color you set it to. Is this click normal?

I'm just trying to figure out what I need to complain about :) I will obviously get them to look at the colors/shows not displaying correctly, but are items 2 and or 3 normal? Is the fix for item 1 in the Omni config or the wiring?

Thanks!!!

1. The controller needs to be synchronized with the lights. It is a software setup problem.
2. That is normal. Light colors are changed by toggling the light power
3. The clicking is the relay toggling the light power

1. The controller needs to be synchronized with the lights. It is a software setup problem.
2. That is normal. Light colors are changed by toggling the light power
3. The clicking is the relay toggling the light power
So for 1, it's somewhere in the config? I've tried hitting synchronize in the app, and it doesn't appear to do anything (other then say it's synchronizing).

Thanks... I'll try messing around with the 11-13 seconds power off, I don't think the snub is my issue because these are 120V lights. I'm pretty sure they configured some things incorrectly in my omni, apparently I'm a guinea pig on automation for them.

Had my installer finish up my VS Omni programming yesterday, he reprogrammed everything which fixed some issues with the ColorLogic lights not being the right color. I was under the impression that all ColorLogic 4.0 lights support the OmniDirect mode to give you 10 colors, etc. My lights are ColorLogic 4.0 120V, which he told me don't support it, only the lower voltage ones. Is this true? I went into the Omni software and I was able to change the mode in the config wizard, but after the restart, it goes gack to having the Omni Direct mode turned off. Do I need to do something in the service menu? Or do my lights, just not support this mode? (FYI my firmware is up to date, although I don't have MP listed)

Reactions: LMacias
The Omnidirect lights are a farce in itself. I also bought what i thought were compatible lights only to find out the Omni controllers don’t have the board to control the lights and Hayward had put the product on hold due to low demand or something. There are a number of threads on it here.

Likely you have to do like me, it simply toggles the relay off and on a specific number of times to get the colour. Horrible ancient method and not amused about it either. I have the UCL 12v models (UCL-SPA LSCUS 11100).

If you notice on this page it says:

Additional features with Hayward® automation
Access additional capabilities with OmniDirect Mode™ by pairing any low-voltage ColorLogic stand-alone lights with OmniLogic® or OmniHub®. OmniDirect Mode offers:
  • Instant navigation to desired color or light show without cycling through sequence
  • Dimming capabilities in increments of 20%
  • Speed adjustment for light shows
  • Access to 10 additional color options; expand customization options for special occasions, like school colors, sports, or the holidays

However it never worked... had to use the HV 120v relay method.

I might dig up my old email to them and see if anything has happened but I doubt it, I watch the firmware and product page at least once a week and no word on the network module for the lights.

—-

Note that there was new 3.1/3.2 firmware last year but I just had a quick glance and didn’t find any posts right away saying it worked. Back in May of 2018 Hayward stated there was not enough demand to make the network module for the omnilogic due to low demand (network light module).

Maybe the Omni has it built it. Still annoyed about this whole light issue lol

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure enough it’s mentioned in the newer manual....

” Omni Direct Mode (Universal ColorLogic Lights built after June 2018)
Universal ColorLogic lights built after June 2018 are capable of Omni Direct mode. To run in this mode, select Omni Direct mode when configuring your lights in the Configuration Wizard (see Installation Manual). The OmniLogic will test your lights during configuration to confirm that they support Omni Direct mode. If so, the ColorLogic Control Screen will display a Settings icon rather than a Synchronize button, which allows both Speed and Brightness control shown on the diagram below. Note that Settings will also be an option when setting up schedules and timers for lights running in Omni Direct mode. Refer to your Universal ColorLogic manual for more information about Omni Direct mode.”

It figures... guess when mine burn out I can replace them with these newer ones. Not amused.

The OmniDirect mode only supports the new lights that are low voltage. 120V lights need to go through a relay, while the low voltage lights are connected directly to a specific input on the OmniLogic. OmniLogic is capable of sending a digital message over the low voltage line to change light color, but the light has to have the appropriate firmware and hardware to receive the message and act on it to change colors.

Hope that helps!

The OmniDirect mode only supports the new lights that are low voltage. 120V lights need to go through a relay, while the low voltage lights are connected directly to a specific input on the OmniLogic. OmniLogic is capable of sending a digital message over the low voltage line to change light color, but the light has to have the appropriate firmware and hardware to receive the message and act on it to change colors.

Hope that helps!

@PoolBrews - Is this documented anywhere? The OmniLogic relays are all High Voltage, and the low are 24v for actuators or heaters. Everything I've read, you still need a transformer and use the MAIN RELAY BANK to connect from OMniLogic to transformer , transformer to light.

My local pool people have no idea.... but most of the research here indicates what I have said above.

thanks,
mike

@mjolsen74 I am under the same impression that those lv relays are not for supplying power to the lights. Can someone also tell me why the OmniLogic Installation Manual, is so bad? Do they only give all the information to the professional installers??

Would you happen to know where I can find some pictures or diagrams besides what is in the manual? I can easily use that to wire my Hayward 300w Transformer to the HV relay. If I do that, I am confused how the OmniLogic sends the signal to the ColorLogic to change the colors\shows.

Anyway, I would LOVE to have more information on the best way to hook my pool light up, whether it comes from Hayward or not.

Thanks in advance!!

BAM! OmniDirect Lights installed and working as described:

ok.. I found a local hayward dealer and ended up buying:

LSCUS11050 (50') Spa
LPCUS11050 (50') Pool

Both had a blue label on the outside (3x5 label with serial# and part #). So this confirms what was stated on this forum about knowing which is good and not.
Turns out my existing lights were same model just from 2014-2015 timeframe (no omniDirect) both were not working.
The installer manual that came with the lights talked about OmniDirect Mode so I know these were the right ones.

Steps:
  1. I upgraded my MPP and MSP the day before to ensure I didn't run into any problems.
  2. Checked Transformers. Good. My existing lights were 12v.
  3. Checked where transformer was installed. Had to move from Relay Bank HV to Main Panel HV as it was stated that omniDirect only works on main relay HV1-HV4.
    Entered service mode to change light to omnidirect mode. did a bunch of clicking and finished.
  4. Had to configure lights through a power cycle scheme to get them into "omniDirect Mode" on the light themselves. READ the steps in the install manual as I wasn't paying enough attention and couldn't figure this out. Re-read, followed to a tee and got everything set right.
Start to finish in about an hour. Not bad for a DIY'er. The OmniLogic app how shows all of the new colors, shows, brightness and speed for shows and works way better than the old model.

Hope this helps..

Mike

Reactions: MissBunny
Dude this is awesome. Exactly what I was planning on doing. How hard was it to get the old lights out and replace them?

I assumed you had to pull a pull string back through and replace the entire light and cable assembly by pulling the cable back using the pull string correct?

I’ve been told we can do it with water in the pool without issue.

First I removed all potential for power to the lights. completely disconnected in junction box too.
I unscrewed light from wall can and pulled out to deck with about 2 foot out of water.
Cut the cord at the light so I had enough to tape about 12" with duct tape tightly so it would fit the pipe and pulled from the junction box. I was prepared to pull through a pull string but this worked smoothly.

Pretty simple really.

Mark,

I am curious if you have the ability to control each light independently from the controller/app? How was your transformer hooked up for your two lights?

I ask as I want to add a water feature light, but didn't know if this requires a new transformer for independent control. I assume it would be done in the same manner as a pool/spa configuration, but once again do not know the wiring for that either.

LSCUS11050 (50') Spa
LPCUS11050 (50') Pool

Both had a blue label on the outside (3x5 label with serial# and part #). So this confirms what was stated on this forum about knowing which is good and not.
Turns out my existing lights were same model just from 2014-2015 timeframe (no omniDirect) both were not working.
The installer manual that came with the lights talked about OmniDirect Mode so I know these were the right ones.

Steps:
  1. I upgraded my MPP and MSP the day before to ensure I didn't run into any problems.
  3. Checked where transformer was installed. Had to move from Relay Bank HV to Main Panel HV as it was stated that omniDirect only works on main relay HV1-HV4.
    Entered service mode to change light to omnidirect mode. did a bunch of clicking and finished.
  4. Had to configure lights through a power cycle scheme to get them into "omniDirect Mode" on the light themselves. READ the steps in the install manual as I wasn't paying enough attention and couldn't figure this out. Re-read, followed to a tee and got everything set right.
Start to finish in about an hour. Not bad for a DIY'er. The OmniLogic app how shows all of the new colors, shows, brightness and speed for shows and works way better than the old model.

Hope this helps..

Mike
Hey mike,

how do you move the relay bank hv to the main panel HV?

LSCUS11050 (50') Spa
LPCUS11050 (50') Pool

Steps:

Hope this helps..

Mike
Mike - What were the steps in Service Mode you took to change to OmniDirect Mode? I can't locate anything to do with lights. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.