Hayward CL2000 Chlorinator Problem

Aug 22, 2015
Commack, NY
Hi. I have a Hayward CL2000 Series chlorinator which accepts 3" chlorine tabs for my inground pool. Over the last year or two I have had to replace the O-ring, part CLX200K numerous times a season. Seems like every 3rd or 4th time I unscrew the lid to add more tablets I have to put a new one in. They loose their elasticity very quickly and do not stay tight in the groove inside the lid. I find that even when I think I am ordering original Hayward O-rings over the internet, of course, I get a generic ring or bag of 5. So I take it that the Hayward EOM O-rings are of much better quality and last the longest? Would you say that's true? Can you steer me to a pool supply distributor that has OEM O-rings only? What is this Viton stuff? The generic ones are so inexpensive it sometimes seems that I should just stick with them and replace them frequently and I am still paying less than the OEMs. What are your opinions? Thank you in advance. Dave Schwartz

Hi Dave! :wave: For what it's worth, when I was opening my in-line chlorinator in the past, I could never find an O-ring that seemed to fit snugly. The excess always wanted to pinch and prevent a good seal. Of course today I never use it because I never chlorinate with tabs, but I just wanted to say you're not alone in your experience. I tried various vendors with no difference so maybe someone else will have a thought. You can always contact the larger on-line suppliers like PoolSupply.com, InyoPools, etc. I'm not familiar with the Viton brand. Maybe I need to get out more. :) Have a nice weekend.

The problem is usually due to getting over concentrated chlorine in the feeder.

If you keep too many tabs in the feeder or if you turn the pump off or if the chlorinator valve is set too low, the chlorine will get too concentrated and damage the chlorinator and it can even migrate through the system and damage anything it touches.

Do you ever get a strong chlorine gas when you open the lid?

I have exactly the same problem. The O-ring looses its elasticity with time (and maybe chlorine), stretches, and ceases to seal. Most of the time, its caused by over-tightening, especially when the chlorinator sealing surfaces become rough. Over-engineered and not really fit-for-purpose. I buy the O-rings by the dozen off e-bay and gently tighten the lid until it seals (the click stop broke off years ago). I don't think there's any significant difference between the OEM O-rings and the cheap e-bay ones.

Viton is a material, a specific formulation of rubber. The cheap ones off of ebay are probably BUNA-N, another formulation. Viton is supposed to be more chemically resistant, hence why they are specified in the chlorinator. If it's leaking, you might want to get an oversized one (same OD, different thickness) and squish it in there. The only reason I say this is because that's what someone had done to my chlorinator in the past, and now it acts more like a flat gasket than an o-ring but it seals the lid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.