Apr 9, 2023
Cape May, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone,

It appears that my tie rod is stuck to the locking knob. When I take off the filter top, the entire assembly just stays attached - knob, rod and all. I have tried taking the assembly apart, and I can remove the clip/etc to pull the combo out of the filter top, but I simply cannot get the knob to come off. It seems like this is also causing some sealing issues where the filter top and bottom join together.

I have tried spraying WD40 into where the tie rod meets the locking knob, but it doesn't seem to want to budge. Does anyone have any ideas?

It appears the prices to replace the parts are ridiculous (~$75 for the knob and ~$200 for the tie rod), so I definitely want to try to salvage at least the tie rod.

I am embarrassed to also say that when I bought the house (my first pool), I thought this is how the filter came apart. But it seems like over the years, this problem has worsened to the point where I can't get a proper seal any longer.

Welcome to TFP.

WD40 is worthless to loosen stuck fasteners. Kroil has never let me down. Soak it in Kroil for a while.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Checkout my experiences below. It should help. The trick is to get under that white convex cone under the lid so you can remove the e-clip and get everything apart to clean & inspect. Once you do that, re-assemble. I use pool lube on the rod threads and knob parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.