Hayward Cartridge Filter Locking Knob Repair

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
The following was used on my Hayward C1200, but may also apply to other Hayward-series cartridge filters that utilize the locking knob on top. These procedures should help those who find that their locking knob on top doesn't seem to fully disengage from the threaded rod inside the filter. Thus, it may seem like the top part of the filter is still stuck to the bottom, or that the knob is released from the rod when actually it is not.
Common problem: The retaining ring that holds the knob tightly against the top housing has rusted, therefore it is not fully seated or completely spinning properly on the rod inside.

Objective #1 - Get that top part of the housing off. That takes some patience. I used a continuous pulling action as I tried to turn the knob counterclockwise to help disengage it from the inside rod. Even then it still felt stuck. If that doesn't work, you may try the opposite by keeping "downward" pressure on the knob as you unscrew it. Then I grabbed the top house housing near its bottom "lip" which helped give me leverage to pull stronger and remove it.

Here is a pic of the inside of the housing. Notice the white concave shell that guides the top portion over the rod. To remove it, simply insert your finger into the small hole and pull firmly. It should pop out.
IMG_20170223_165909279.jpg

Next image you see one of the nylon washers and what's left of my rusted retaining ring.
IMG_20170223_170007067.jpg

Now you can purchase a new one-inch "E-Ring" as seen below. This one I got from Lowe's (2-pack) for about $1.28 (P/N 881403). In comparison, if you shop on-line you'll find some pool stores selling this ring for about $11.
IMG_20170223_172846235.jpg

After you wipe-off the area inside,, you'll slip the nylon washer back into position. Make sure the locking knob is fully pressed down "into" the housing so the stem is protruding inside as much as it will go. You need that room to access the tiny grove in that stem and slip the new E-Ring onto the stem.

The E-Ring holds the nylon washer in-place and also keep the locking knob pulled-in tightly inside the housing. I'm not going to lie, it's a bit of a pain in the backside to get that E-Ring to slip onto the stem of the locking knob. Patience, and possibly a flat-tip screwdriver and hammer may help. They helped me.

Once done, it should look like this:
IMG_20170223_171532101_HDR.jpg

I think that about covers it. Good luck!

Ninarina

Feb 23, 2017
Boca Raton
So....The locking knob is supposed to stay attached to the filter lid? I kept thinking when I unscrewed it from the rod that it was supposed to come off.....Then I would lift the lid off the filter etc. I thought mine, being permanently attached to the lid, was an anomaly?

My E-Ring is in fine shape (not rusty) and apparently firmly attached to the bottom of the locking knob.......Maybe I just need to grease it?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Yes, the black locking knob stays attached to the top of the housing. But it should be pressed firmly all the way flush at the top (no slack). If everything looks good, then yes, you may want to apply some lube. You could pull-out the white convex cone and dab some lube to the bottom of the knob. I also like to put some lube on the threaded end of the rod so I know it's getting inside the knob from the bottom and into the female threaded portion.

kadavis

TFP Guide
In The Industry
Apr 5, 2015
tucson, arizona
Could you buy a bolt with the same threads as the tie rod and insert into the locking knob to see that it's not stripped. By using some lubricant it could clean up the threads

neptunes

Apr 16, 2016
Miami, Fl
Many thanks. With your help and clear pictures it took me no time to fix the problem. Another thread suggested that the top of the filter housing will pop off when the pump is turned on -- and it did :) . The nylon washer and the eclips had come loose and was inside the housing. After that it was an easy fix. Now..what to do with the replacement locking knob that I ordered yesterday :-(

Tgel1972

Jun 23, 2018
Miami
Hi. First time member. My top also gets stuck. I used the water pressure from turning the pump on to get it off. My e-ring is not rusted and seems to be firmly in place. Yet, I am able to wiggle the white washer with a finger. I can also slightly rock the knob from side to side, but just a little. Any suggestions?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Hi. First time member. My top also gets stuck. I used the water pressure from turning the pump on to get it off. My e-ring is not rusted and seems to be firmly in place. Yet, I am able to wiggle the white washer with a finger. I can also slightly rock the knob from side to side, but just a little. Any suggestions?
Hello Tgel1972! :wave: So I'm not understanding … what's the issue specifically? You have the top half off right? Are you trying to take the parts underneath apart? Pull-off the white spacer/cap, remove the e-clip, etc?

"neptunes", I'm glad you got it fixed. :goodjob:

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
It just pops off. Use a screwdriver in the hollow of the E to snap it off.

Basically, just push it straight back away from the shaft.