Hayward c1200 stripped

Nmilmore

Jul 18, 2019
FL
I have a Hayward c1200 filter. When I was cleaning the filter and went to put it back in the long rod came out. When I went to put it back in I found out that it is stripped down inside the bottom where the rod goes. Is there anyway to fix it? With out having to buy a new filter? Thanks

Welcome! :wave: I think that's the first I've heard of the threads getting stripped at the bottom. I always have issues near the top at the knob and under the white cap with the e-clip. I don't know. If it were me, and I was down to my last effort before hitting the trash, I might just JB Weld that rod into the threaded base. I'm not aware of any reason why the rod should ever need to be removed anyways. The rod, as far as I know, always be stationary to secure the top housing. But keep clsoe to this thread in case someone knows something I don't on this one. We may both learn something. :) Keep us posted, and thanks for using the forum.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Test Kits Compared

We’ve tried to glue it down and it won’t hold. As soon as it come to pressure the top blows off. Im not sure why the rod comes out. It came w the house and since I’ve been cleaning the filter the rod has stuck into the lid and the rod has come out.

I'm not sure about JB-Weld, but I think I'd give it a try if I'm understanding correctly and it's the housing that's stripped. You can buy just the bottom housing, but it's not much less than a complete new filter.

We’ve tried to glue it down and it won’t hold. As soon as it come to pressure the top blows off. Im not sure why the rod comes out. It came w the house and since I’ve been cleaning the filter the rod has stuck into the lid and the rod has come out.
Oh, I see. That rod really should never have needed to come out. Mine twists, but I can get it to hold. I suspect the upper part of the rod was rarely lubed and became fused into the knob assembly underneath. I have a thread about the upper portion (see below), but that won't help if the bottom has lost its ability to hold and grip the rod. Now that you describe the top half popping off, I'd be very careful. Safety first. We know these filters can build-up a lot of pressure. The last thing you want is a Minion-shaped projectile flying across the backyard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.