Have I bought the wrong pump?

eretromicin

May 23, 2020
Sacramento
Hello All, I've been looking to upgrade my Flotec AT251001 single speed pump to a variable speed pump. I found someone on Offerup who was selling a Jandy VSSHP220AUT for $600 and bought it last week. The pump is new out of box (he says he installs new pools and has some extra pumps listed on offerup). My worry is if this pump might be too strong or might create some issues. obviously the pump is much stronger and has a higher HP, but i thought "i don't need to to run at full strength anyways"

One of the main things I'm worried about is my current pipes are 2" and the inlet/outlet for this one is 2.5", will i have issues if i use an adapter? I could easily make the discharge pipe 2.5" going to filter but my gut feeling is that suction and discharge should stay the same size, or am i wrong here?

The next concern is the booster pump, I have the Polaris PB4-60 and i noticed that if it is hooked up to the Auxiliary port on the Jandy, it wont turn on until the pump hits 1725 RPM, is there a chance that the pump wont hit that speed because a lower rpm is enough? Right now it is controlled by an electromechanical timer, but it would be nice to have the pump control it

And the last concern is the filter its a Hayward C3025, but it seems it should be able to handle up to 122 GPM. I was worried it might cause some damage.

Please let me know what you think, the only other thing i think i left out is the pool is right around 25,000 gallons, no water features or heaters or anything else. I also purchased an IQPUMP01 on eBay for $60 so i do have a controller for it. If you think i should try to return it then alternative pump suggestions are welcome. (I just saw the black and Decker VSP on amazon for $660 and its what got me double guessing myself 😅 )

If you got down here, thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Welcome to the forum!
A VS pump can be throttled to not cause any issues. Adjust the max RPM to a lower value (say 2500 rpm) and see how that works. You cannot over pressure your system as the pump will stall limit the flow rate based on the head loss seen.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: eretromicin
E,

I doubt you will have any problems using your new pump at all.. Just install it and quit thinking... :mrgreen:

The larger the VS pump the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks

Jim R.

Reactions: eretromicin
Wanted to post a quick update. A few days after posting I ended up getting sick so the project was put on hold, but yesterday I finished the last of the piping and ran it for the first time today! Also it turned out I didn't know how to measure PVC and I actually got 1 1/2" pipes, nothing that a reducer bushing couldn't fix.

Holy moly it's so quiet!!! And the app is showing me that it's using around 350watts at 2000rpm, so it will pay itself off quickly. Im thinking 2000rpm might be a bit too high, so I will play around with it in the coming weeks to find the sweet spot.

Thanks for the encouragement Jim, I am too prone to paralysis by analysis :)

Next on the list is to rebuild the PB4-60 because it sounds even louder without the old pump to help drown it out 😁

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.