Hand Railing at entry steps or not?

We decided to remove our hand rail when we had to resurface our deck.

The metal hand rail got pretty hot in the sun, blocked a good portion of our corner stairs, and (maybe?) had the potential for rusting with a salt water pool (we converted to a SWG along with the resurfacing). It also looked out of place for our deck/screen. But we also don't have small kids, or elderly adults that might need a handrail. If we did, that would probably trump all of the other reasons I listed.

jbb,

Well, my pool is only about three years old and we did not have a railing installed. I now regret it, as overnight, I have suddenly become my father.. :p

So my advice is, if old people are not going to use your pool, then you don't need one. Assuming you'll never get old did not work all that well for me..

I just installed a deck mounted unit that coincidently I just used for the first time today. Here is a pic...

Click image for bigger pic...

If I had been thinking ahead, I would have had the pool builder install the mounts in the deck and just put the railing away until old age struck...

I agree it is somewhat unsightly, but then again, so am I... :pukel:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: damdan
We did not have a rail on our first two pools, but this one has a rail. We have a second step Baja, and the first step is only 2'X2'. My parents took a tumble on our previous pool a couple of times, but landed in deeper water. The second step Baja is just 18" deep, so we went with a rail for a little extra safety. We had it coated in thermoplastic that matches the deck.

Jim - Were you able to bond the railing you added?

I get reminded that we have no railing each time my Aunt comes over. I'll add to Jim, assuming you never get old, or you never have a mobility issue (any age).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim - Were you able to bond the railing you added?

I get reminded that we have no railing each time my Aunt comes over. I'll add to Jim, assuming you never get old, or you never have a mobility issue (any age).

Bob,

The railing has a coating and the instructions say that bonding is not required.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I designed one out of PVC pipes and use sand bags to hold it in place. Looks a bit like the one in the picture in post #5.

Sand bags go on the bottom.

Bob,

I'm guessing yours was a lot cheaper than mine... :p

And I suspect, works as well.

I don't need it to pull myself out of the pool, it just give me a sense of balance.

Kind of like the difference between walking up and down stairs with and without a handrail.

Jim R.

It is truly about your use and needs I think. If you are just about looks by all means leave the railing out, I think they truly take away from the look, have potential to rust, etc. But - if you have a need, elderly people a lot, etc then it might make sense. Have the holes prepared, but plugged. Or get a rail that can be put in or taken out easily. Might all depend on where and how your steps are designed as well, if they are steep you may need the rail, if they are shallow then you may not need one.

Based purely on looks I vote against.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.