Gunite uneven laterally...3 + inches...should I worry?

CMorrow

Gold Supporter
Jul 18, 2018
Austin, TX
Hi, folks. Had gunite shot yesterday and noticed that from one side to the other (horizontally) it's uneven by as many as 3 inches in 2 places. Concerned that as I start curing it, there's no way to level except to bring low side up somehow. Really don't want to lose three inches of water. PB not very responsive, and definitely will not reply on Saturday. Am wondering if I should go to showroom / office today (Sat) with my pics and alert them, or keep curing and wait until PB responds, probably Monday or Tuesday. I know there is variance and that gunite is certainly not perfect, but 3+ inches seems like a lot to me from one side to the other. Here are some pics. Any suggestions? Thank you. These locations are directly across from each other -- haven't moved up or down in the pool. Thank you!
20180728_081143.jpg20180728_081037.jpg

In the picture on the right you are standing on the curve of the wall, which may be throwing off your measurements. The angle of the curve of the wall is more open on the right side photo than the one on the left. Could you post a shot of the whole pool?

I'd be more worried if the top of the walls on both sides are level with each other. Being a slightly different depth on the bottom probably not a big deal at least to me. Run a tight string across the pool at the top of each side and put a level on the string. Laser level better obviously.

Here's the pic I tried to send earlier. Uneven laterally.jpg Perhaps you can see the rise going from right to left. I'm not a perfectionist, but want a little more uniformity. I know there will be variance. Just trying to figure out if I make an issue of it with PB.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, since it's visible from outside the pool, am wondering if it will be visible under water...again, at the right side it's pretty much 48 inches. On the left side we're down to 44+. Same discrepancy in another spot closer to deep end as well.

Not a great answer...but you almost just have to live with it. If the top of the pool is level...and the resulting water line will be level across the tile, I think I would not even worry about it. Every gunite pool that I get in, I notice variations like this, but only because I pay attention and look for it. I would imagine nobody else would ever even pay attention. If you wanted to bring the low side up, you could, but I would worry about only 2-3" thick and trying to get it to bond well to the current shell would be more of a potential long term liability because of the cold joint.

C,

The only important thing is that the top of the beam is level all the way around. Once they plaster the pool you will not even notice the slight difference you are seeing now.

That said, I would tell your pool builder your concerns and see what he has to say.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Why do you have such a blank expression on your face?? :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I say relax about the gunite variations. Save your ammunition with the PB for if you have plaster problems. Only so much flesh you going to be able to get out of him.

I am betting that the beam is level but it’s the bottom of your pool that’s not. When to put in the forms on top, unless they are just lazy or incompetent, the board forms are level. I wouldn’t worry about it. It is a hand formed protect and I am assure you the measurements won’t be perfect. For example I wanted 6’ deep but got probably 5’10” when all said an done.

They usually shoot these with a laser level running. I would be surprised if it is not level all the way around. I think really the only way you could tell if this is not level would be to use a transit or laser level. Short of that I don't think your method is accurate.

I see your point but see no issue. Unless the difference in height has a major impact on your pool usage.

As a note, only in the middle of my pool it’s 6” deeper on one side versus the other. I call it variety.

Old school is sometimes best. You are interested in the height of the gunite top surface. Get a 20'-30' 1/2" clear plastic tube. Fill with water and then hold it to the top of the gunite wall. The water in the tube should be at the same height as the top of the gunite all the way around the pool. The top height of the gunite is what you are interested in, rather than the absolute depth (ie the height/level of the pool floor). This is what the water fill of the pool will look like at the tile when it's full.

To give the OP some slack here, I believe he realizes the bond beam is level and is just using it as a reference to show that the floor of the pool is not at the same level on each side of the pool. I just don't see a problem with floor not being perfectly level as a problem at all... Let's see what his pool builder says about it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.