Sep 12, 2017
Bristol, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good afternoon,

My name is Chase and my wife, Jessica, and I just moved into a 1935 fixer upper. This is our second house reno and we were so happy to find a house with a pool. However, the pool and surrounding area was in pretty bad shape.

This is what we saw when we took the cover off back in late June.

0HnZlWB.jpg

Thankfully, my wife's father has been in water treatment (Class A licensed) for over 30 years, and he's also had a pool at his house for over 15 years. He came over to the house to help us get started. Turns out, the pump wouldn't work and we needed to get the pool clear ASAP. We started taking the pump apart and found a jewelry bead lodged in the fan. We took it out, put it all back together and we were in business. Until....

In another stroke of luck we found out the sand in the filter was toast. In the interest of time, my father in law said he could get it clean anyway. So he was able to do this in 24 hours without a filter!

mAtrDKR.jpg

Still waiting on sand...three days later and we're looking good! He's a miracle worker.

jz5CJVG.jpg

We finally got new sand and our filter was back up and running. The next step was to tackle the concrete pool deck, which looked like it had been ignored for quite a while.

dBAvhfI.jpg

H4pdFGi.jpg

Starting to look clean again.
3MXSL2X.jpg

We were also able to achieve the look we were going for with semi-transparent concrete stain and two light coats of sealer (1 gallon of low luster, and 2 gallons of "wet-look").

What do you think?

R0XJs3i.jpg

7e702ux.jpg

We're going to replace the liner next year (and probably add a heater) and start on the surrounding patio deck. We're tearing out all the old wood and going back with stamped concrete. Still not sure on pattern/color yet.... We also plan to add a natural gas fire pit and plenty of seating! The landscaping needs major work as well, and we'll start on that in the spring.

Glad to be here and I've learned a lot already. I've read through all of the pool school and I've played around with pool math already. My FIL is great and very helpful, but I hope I can master this pool and not have to lean on him next year.

Just for fun I'll add a pic from the front of the house. We just had the shingles done. Next up is limewashing the brick and painting all the white trim a darker color. Landscaping for the house is on the list as well.

Before
6td9po5.jpg

After
imGn9ev.jpg

eiSE1Ed.jpg

8gta6k0.jpg

Godspeed,
Chase

Love those shingles! What an awesome job you have done already with the pool and deck. So nice to see what a good cleaning and care can do!

What are you going to do with the doggy watch spot? He sure stands out on that red! Love it!

Kim:kim:

Thank you all for the kind words and warm welcome.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on our progress, and I know I'll have some pool related questions down the road.

Good morning all,

I wanted to drop back in and ask for some help/guidance in getting my signature correct the first go around.

I have measured our pool (IG Vinyl liner) and it is 18x36 with a 9' deep end. This is roughly 24,300 gallons, correct?

I also took some pictures hoping you all could help me figure out the equipment specs.

Sand filter and plumbing (I believe it is a 200 lb filter)

uru5XTx.jpg

We have a polaris and this shows the separate pump and plumbing for it. When we opened the pool there were multiple air leaks, so in order to save time we just removed it from the system and plugged the plumbing. Does this pump (far right) look salvagable? Should we consider using the polaris next year?

dX1vvTu.jpg

Closer photo

PAfbwNI.jpg

I'm 100% sure someone here can tell the specs just by looking at this picture.

zCKPknw.jpg

Best close-up pic I could manage

txwrAVZ.jpg

Thank you all again for your help!

BTW, the area around this equipment is going to get a major face-lift next year as well! :)

Here ya go for the info to put in your siggy:

In ground Vinyl 24,300 gals, sand filter, pump info here, ****Here is where you will put the test kit you are using

That is the main info we need in the siggy to make it easier for us to see your info at a glance. I THINK you pump is a single speed. Feel under the pump on the other side away from the basket. There will be a rocker switch like this H O L with H=high speed, O=off, L=Low speed. If it does not have this switch it IS a single speed.

Kim:kim: