Greenish stain in pool

Jan 3, 2013
Hello all,
This summer a streak of greenish/brownish stain developed in a line along my pool from the shallow end to the deep end. I assume it's algae, but it is different than other algae I have experienced. A few times over the years I let the chlorine lapse and got green algae, it has always been on the sunny side of the pool, was a green colored film that would produce a cloud when brushed. I was able to defeat it using a less then perfectly executed SLAM.
This new stain is different. Different color and brushing has no impact. I did go after it with a concerted effort of liquid chlorine, caly-hypo, brushing and 24-7 pump. I held the chlorine at about 15.
Is there anything else it might be than algae?
Just an FYI, I always lose .5 to 1 ppm overnight even when i do not see a problem, and yes there is about .5 ppm difference between FC and TC.
Any input is greatly appreciated. Right now I am keeping FC higher than normal to prevent it getting any worse and I intend to SLAM again when the season is over.
20,000 gallons
SWGC
Total alk 90
Ph 7.8
CYA 30

Any chance its copper stains from pouring cheap algaecides in the pool along the edge? Try some crushed up Vit C tablets in a thin sock rubbed on the stain and see if that alters it. Then in another stain area try some dry acid on the stain. Tell us the result.

Maddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.