Green swamp

Yes, you are in one of the latest stages of slam, do you have a sand filter?

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

You can play with your amount of testing. Do it every 3 hours. If you see it is holding the FC at SLAM level, go to 5 hours and see. Once you see it is not holding the FC at SLAM level the back up an hour and there you have it.

Now is the hard time :( Filter and dose. It will take time and POP (Pool Owner Patience) LOL

Here is a way to help speed up the filtering a little since you have a sand filter:

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Make sure you can be there for a while when you first do it. Each filter likes a different amount. If you see the pressure shoot up turn the pump off and do a back wash and start over with less. I started with 1/4 cup and moved up until I found the amount that only caused about a 1 psi increase. My pool likes 2 1/2 cups. There was one filter that only like 2 Tablespoons! LOL Small filter

You should keep brushing and running the pump.

I am SO happy to see that color change! You really getting there. Just wait until we get done with your pool! It will look like a jewel!! :sun:

:kim:

I don't have a more recent picture, but the pool water is still blue! It is still cloudy so we are still operating in SLAM mode, maintaining at level 20. We have brushed, run the automatic cleaner (Kreepy Krauly Great White that has bristles and moves along the pool surfaces), or vacuumed everyday. We haven't added any DE to the filter, so I'm guessing it will take a few more days to filter out all of the dead algae. It is not the eyesore it was before though, so we are already excited. We will post pics of a pool party once it's all clear!

Now is when it gets hard...............it seems to take F.O.R.E.V.E.R to clear all the way up! It will get there with filtering and time.

Please take and share a pic of it now so we can see where you are at.

Marsha, what kind of filter do you have? Once the SLAM is killing the algae faster than it is reproducing, you will eventually kill it all (or nearly all). That is when you will pass the OCLT. That test tells you that there is only a very small amount of "stuff" consuming your chlorine overnight (when the sun isn't burning it off). After that, it is filtration that will get rid of the cloudiness. If you have a sand filter, you may add DE to it to speed up the filtration progress http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter.

And by the way - nice work. Your green swamp is well on its way to being a sparkling blue oasis!

*** just realized someone already suggested the DE - sorry to be repetitious - anyway, nice work

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't get a pic today, but you can clearly see the bottom of the bottom step in the shallow end and the bottom step of the ladder as well as a light that is about 18-20 inches down on one side (opposite the ladder)! We are definitely on the way!

The water is much clearer, but we still havent passed the overnight oclt, so we are still slamming. Yesterday we had to backwash and add some water so I retested the pH and cya today. Ph was up to 7.5 so, using pool math, I added muriatic acid to bring it back down. The cya is down to 20. If I'm reading all of this information correctly, that lowers my FC down to 10. Is that right?

I would add CYA to bring your CYA up to 30 to give your FC a fighting chance against the sun eating it.

Use the CYA/FC chart for your levels for your SLAM. It is embedded in the SLAM thread as well as in the Table of Contents.

I've started adding the CYA via the sock in the skimmer basket and based on the target CYA, We'll be maintaining the FC at level 12. The level has been maintaining for the past few hours without having to add any chlorine. I'll post an updated picture tomorrow. Thank you for ALL of your help!!!

Alright, so we have let the FC slowly go down throughout the day since we had clear water and passed the OCLT. However, when I tested for CC tonight, the test turned clear mostly after only 1 drop but completely cleared with 2. So, I guess that means our CC is 1. Does that mean we still need to be in SLAM mode?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, FC is only down to 7.5 from 12 and has been holding since this afternoon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.