Green Pool 😢

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

At a CYA of 60, your SLAM level FC is 24 ppm. So any FC under 24 ppm and above 3 ppm is safe.

Reactions: poolstretch
My FC is at 9. Do I continue to leave the SWG off?
We can assume you have passed all three criteria for a successful SLAM?

If so, turn the SWCG on and set it to generate 3ppm FC per day. Test your FC every day at the same time and adjust the SWCG as necessary to keep at or above Target FC for your CYA.

We can assume you have passed all three criteria for a successful SLAM?

If so, turn the SWCG on and set it to generate 3ppm FC per day. Test your FC every day at the same time and adjust the SWCG as necessary to keep at or above Target FC for your CYA.
Yes I did pass all three criteria. My SWG has no PPM numbers on it. How am I supposed to know how much FC I’m adding per day?

Last edited by a moderator:
My SWG has no PPM numbers on it
The manufacturer can’t have a clue what size pool you have. The unit will be used on many sizes pools and is rated by output. On a smaller pool the given output accomplishes more, on a bigger pool it does less.

you can calculate the model and production rates in pool math to get a base idea of where to start. Then adjust a bit up/down to fine tune your specific pools needs. We won’t have the demand that they do in, say, Arizona.
How the **** am I supposed to know how much FC I’m adding per day?
Because after you get it set you will test and see what happened the day before and adjust as needed. Once you get it dialed in you will need monthly (roughly) tweaks up for the first half of the season as the UV increases with a higher sun and longer days. After the mid point of the season you’ll occasionally have to adjust downward as the UV demand decreases in the back half of the season.

PoolMath
I need to know what Solaxx model you have. The Retro is very small. Can you see if there is more information on the model?
I looked but couldn’t find anything useful. This is it,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK - Solaxx calls that the Reliant. Yours would be the R5. Produces 1.15 lbs of chlorine gas per day.
Poolmath says to get 3 ppm FC in your pool volume the SWCG needs to run at 100% generation for 5 hours each day. If you run your pump longer than 5 hours, you can lower your % generation accordingly.
Then test FC each day right before the SWCG starts. If FC rises, you can lower the % or run time, if FC falls, increase it.

The "dirt spots" could be dead algae settling at the bottom of the pool. Cordless vacuum only stirs them up. It does not collect them. Stirring them up makes it easier for them to get picked up in the skimmer and thru the filter.
My personal opinion: vacuum directly to the filter thru the skimmer and they are less likely to return.
If they are dead algae, your FC is killing the algae but barely keeping up with it.
Try the OCLT and see if you pass it. If you don't pass, then it's definitely dead algae.

Well two possibilities. For one you may have passed OCLT but overlooked the criteria a little and what you have now is typical for ending slam early or the filter is bringing back some of the dirt into the pool. I'd clean the filters now and start a slam again while brushing twice daily. Seeing dead algae is a sign of still killing off algae if all else is correct.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.