Green Pool 😢

Hi fellow long islander. Here's a tip that could help next year. Do not open your pool in June. Open it in April like I do and the water is crystal clear. Also close it in late October and bring it up to roughly 15 FC and then close it so there is still some chlorine left when you open it.

Like Marty posted, follow the SLAM process. That pool will need a steady dose of bleach. No need to turn on the SWG until the pool is clear. It won't bring the FC level up quick enough. Save the cell and just give it bleach and a lot of it. Make sure you have the proper test kit TF100 and don't go to the pool store to get the water tested

Yes it's fine to run the green water through the filter.

Reactions: poolstretch
Hi fellow long islander. Here's a tip that could help next year. Do not open your pool in June. Open it in April like I do and the water is crystal clear. Also close it in late October and bring it up to roughly 15 FC and then close it so there is still some chlorine left when you open it.

Like Marty posted, follow the SLAM process. That pool will need a steady dose of bleach. No need to turn on the SWG until the pool is clear. It won't bring the FC level up quick enough. Save the cell and just give it bleach and a lot of it. Make sure you have the proper test kit TF100 and don't go to the pool store to get the water tested

Yes it's fine to run the green water through the filter.
Hey! Thanks! I’ll try that.

i have these tad pole looking things swimming in here! does this happen
Yes. Kiss one and your financial situation might improve greatly. 😁
Also should I run the filter for a little bit before testing the water?
Also yes. Stir the water good for 20 minutes any time you want to test, and again afterwards before re-testing to ensure your adds reached their target. (Except for CYA, that can take some days to fully mix)

It is if your calcium (CH) has some wiggle room, which it probably does in a vinyl pool where you didn’t need to keep it elevated for the plaster.

Your fill water should be lower in calcium so that helps too, and whatever rain you picked up over the winter diluted it further.

But keep tabs on it and how much it adds to what you already have. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
20 mins should be plenty to mix it up. When the time comes to lower the PH, that’s quick too. CYA is the only one that doesn’t show up quickly from adding.

Got a pic ? I ask because if it’s questionably at 6.8 it may really be 5 and adding from 6.8 still doesn’t get it back in range…. Only to 6.2 (or whatevs).

When we bought my house the CYA was almost 300 (no doubt from ‘shock’ and tabs) but with all that acid the PH was way below readable. It took 4 or so tries to get it up enough to read it.

I added 11oz of washing soda to increase my PH from 7.0 to 7.2.
What is your TA? If above 50 ppm, do not worry about the pH as long as in the 7's.

Also, best to use liquid chlorine. The cal hypo can fall to the bottom of your pool and stain the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.