It’s open! It’s green! Looking for help! TEST RESULTS ADDED!

Keep the pump running and test during the day to keep FC at SLAM level.
Brush/vacuum as needed. Clean around skimmer, skimmer weir door, lights, etc.
yes that's what I've been doing since Wednesday. I think I might be on the upswing now, I haven't had to add chlorine since 8:30 last night. we will see!

One more question. I did this before coffee at 6am. I got the exact same number as last night. I went back up bed and a few hours later did the test again with the same sample. Does chlorine degrade in a sample sitting out for a couple hours? It was significantly different. Is it possible I didn’t pass?

The sample is no good some time later. If your sample container lets light in the sides, the sample may lose much more FC than the pool in a short time.

See if you can get a solid CYA reading today.

The sample is no good some time later. If your sample container lets light in the sides, the sample may lose much more FC than the pool in a short time.

See if you can get a solid CYA reading today.
No likely not. No sun. I did it Friday with a lot of sun.

Reactions: Newdude
Get it whenevs it's nice out. The FC may still be getting zpped by the sun until it registers, or, we shot too low and need more.

Then another OCLT is mandatory before raising the CYA to salt level.

1). Some time may pass before raising the CYA to SWG levels. It won't be needed anytime soon with low UV loss right now for us up north.

2) Having to SLAM at 28 FC suuuuuuuuucks.

Way more than waking up early for one day. Best to be sure sure sure before you raise it.

1). Some time may pass before raising the CYA to SWG levels. It won't be needed anytime soon with low UV loss right now for us up north.

2) Having to SLAM at 28 FC suuuuuuuuucks.

Way more than waking up early for one day. Best to be sure sure sure before you raise it.
When do you usually increase CYA and add salt?

When do you usually increase CYA and add salt?
Salt I got going on day 3 after opening. I wasn't in a rush with cold water but it surprisingly warmed up enough that the cell started working so then I rushed out to get bags of salt and it took 2 days to dial in. The SWG has been working since.

For CYA, I opened with 50 which is plenty for us up north this time of year. I will only raise the CYA when the UV loss starts to burn more FC. It will probably be late May or early June. If I raise it for no reason, and have an algae outbreak, my SLAM target goes up 4 FC for every 10 CYA, so I don't want to raise it until I need it.

Equipment failures happen. Life gets in the way sometimes too. Even being the master of my own pool, I may find myself behind the algae 8 ball beyond my control. So I always respect the risks of raising the CYA with no immediate need.

And I won't raise the CYA to SWG level without first passing an OCLT. If there is any question, such as a borderline pass, I'll want 2 OCLTs to set my mind at ease.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Salt I got going on day 3 after opening. I wasn't in a rush with cold water but it surprisingly warmed up enough that the cell started working so then I rushed out to get bags of salt and it took 2 days to dial in. The SWG has been working since.

For CYA, I opened with 50 which is plenty for us up north this time of year. I will only raise the CYA when the UV loss starts to burn more FC. It will probably be late May or early June. If I raise it for no reason, and have an algae outbreak, my SLAM target goes up 4 FC for every 10 CYA, so I don't want to raise it until I need it.

Equipment failures happen. Life gets in the way sometimes too. Even being the master of my own pool, I may find myself behind the algae 8 ball beyond my control. So I always respect the risks of raising the CYA with no immediate need.

And I won't raise the CYA to SWG level without first passing an OCLT. If there is any question, such as a borderline pass, I'll want 2 OCLTs to set my mind at ease
interesting! I always start right away adding CYA, though I usually open mid may. I haven't put any salt in yet, but I I probably can now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I haven't put any salt in yet, but I I probably can now.
My water was coooooooold and I didn't think I'd need the salt anytime soon so i stocked up on WM LC. I was THRILLED the pool warmed up so quick that I could cease being a jug lugger. :ROFLMAO:

The SWG may drop out here and there with water on the fence of being too cool, but if we have a cold week, I won't be needing the SWG much for it anyway. I have 6 gals of LC left if I do need to step in.

So we had to get up early today so I did an overnight test. I failed. what in the heck?

well, I did it again and I passed.

Last edited: