green pool, well water, and cover

keene3b07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 9, 2011
This pool is 35k gallons, it is on a well, and has an automatic cover. Pool is flourescent green and has heavy orange mineral deposits on steps. Test results:
CYA:10
FC : 1
CC: 1
TA: 280
PH: 7.6
CH: 500
I suspect that the orange deposits are from iron in the water. My question is, is the green coloring coming from the metals or from algae or both? And how much is the cover being on preventing us from getting rid of the combined chlorine? They use the cover for child safety and so they want it on. I added 10 Lbs of Dichlor yesterday as well as a couple gallons of acid and 2 quarts of resist. The report from the homeowner is that the water looks the same. Any help is appreciated! thanks!

Absolutely the cover can inhibit the burn off of Combined Chloramines....the pool should be open and allowed to "breath" at least every few days for a few hours.
Iron can be removed using Polyfil in the skimmers while its orange and oxidized-

Flourescent green- metals perhaps like copper? Any cheap algaecides used in this pool?

Maddie

They use the cover for child safety and so they want it on.

Is that actually safe? We have friends whose dog drowned in a neighbour's pool, because he got under the cover and couldn't get out again. Dog was missing for days until he was found.

Just thinking that this might give a false sense of security. IMHO they should consider a pool fence if concerned about child safety.

The cover's key pad is supposed to be placed where full view of the pool is available while closing. I have a hard time imagining how a dog would have gotten under the cover's retracting end? The poor dog must have been in the pool when it was being closed? Or it wasn't an autocover but rather a solar type cover which sits loose on the water?

Maddie

I don't know what type of cover it was, don't think it was automatic. I think he just went onto the cover, it sank and he slipped into the water. Once under the cover, he had no chance of getting out again.

It really depends on the type of cover. There are probably covers that are designed as a safety feature, but there are certainly covers around that make things worse. Either by slipping off the cover into the water, ending up under the cover. Or by sinking in, getting trapped in the cover. Or if it is actually possible for a child to crawl through a gap to go for a swim.

Ever since that I am a bit paranoid about using pool covers as a safety feature. As I said, there are probably some that are designed to be safe. But unless they are explicitly labelled as child/animal safe, and mounted and closed properly, I would not assume that they are.

Reactions: Newdude
ok, yeah, an autocover rests in tracks the motor pushes it closed and you really can't easily push it open. Whereas a solar type cover isn't secured to anything. Folks often even cut them into more manageable pieces which just lay on the water. There is absolutely NO safety in those type covers and perhaps can be considered more dangerous than plain open water as you at least can see down in to clear clean water.

Maddie

Reactions: mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.