Green pool upon opening and still green on day 6....

Man, you guys are really watching me! LOL My wife picked it up and after a quick glance at the bottle I thought it was liquid last night, when I grabbed it today I found out it is granuals after all. I have to add 68 ounces....should I do second sock in shallow skimmer and/or just keep refilling sock over several days?

Man, you guys are really watching me! LOL My wife picked it up and after a quick glance at the bottle I thought it was liquid last night, when I grabbed it today I found out it is granuals after all. I have to add 68 ounces....should I do second sock in shallow skimmer and/or just keep refilling sock over several days?

LOL If knew your wife had picked it I would have KNOWN for sure it was the powder! If she is anything like me she would pick the cheaper one for sure! LOL

Kim :cat:

SLAM is going well so far....after prepping pH and CYA to appropriate levels I brought FC to 12 on initial SLAM late afternoon yesterday and it held when I checked around 8pm last night. This morning it had dropped only to 10 so I added bleach accordingly. I plan to check again in a few hours and will post a new pic around this time which will be 24 hours after I began the process.

I'm waiting for sun to come out to get a decent pic. In the meantime I did backwash and it seems that the 2 backwash cycles I've done since I started 24 hours ago are much lighter than they were in the preceeding days. I thought they might be really green with the progress I'm making....can I assume that the bleach is killing the algae in the pool before it even gets to the filter?

That's correct. The bleach will begin to turn algae white to the point it dies and will be vacuumed and backwashed. That's a good sign, but don't let up. Make sure to maintain that FC level and give it the "One, Two, Punch" knockout and pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All of a sudden too, the change will be quicker and more noticeable. It takes a few days to see a real difference, and then it really speeds up, but stay with it. That was my experience in helping some friends do it (Luckily I found TFP right from the start and have never had a green pool to deal with myself).

These guys are 100% on target. Be patient, follow the process and it will NOT let you down. Even when it goes slow, or feel like there is little change, it will come. I helped a friend last season fix their pool. They had dumped hundreds of dollars into the pool (based on pool store advice) and still have a dark green swamp. Then they agreed to let me have a go at it, and they signed up to the commitment to the TFP way. See for yourself, as here is a grouping of pics of the pool, which was 11 days, green to clean. You be the judge. You'll get there and learn a ton along the way.

I'm sure I am late to the party, but I was going to post something similar to this. My pool was worse than this one. I had been really struggling with it, and was going broke at the pool store. Once I got my test kit and began doing things the TFP way it cleared up in no time.

It's been almost 48 hours and I'm shocked how well it's holding it's FC level. Upon inception on Sunday I added about 1.5 bottles of bleach and 1/3 bottle two different times yesterday. As of this morning FC level is holding at 12.5. Sun is just coming up so hope to post a pic in a few hours.

Coming up on 72 hours since I started the process pre-SLAM and then SLAM. I've added 2.5 bottles of bleach and FC has never been below 10 with 12 as the target. We did receive about 2 inches of rain overnight. Is it time to test CYA again? Any other tests I should run after 3 complete days? Thanks!

If your water is clear and looking good, you may be getting to the point where it's good to not only verify your FC, but also the CCs (combined chlorine). If the water is very clear, FC holding well in the day and CCs less than .5 ppm, you may want to consider doing an overnight test per the Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.