Green pool needs help!

Learningallican

Jul 4, 2020
Kutztown
Inherited a 27' round 52" deep, AG vinyl pool that was uncovered and untouched for 2 years. As of now, dark black, green water with much debris. Have TF-100 test kit and tested CYA and pH prior to starting SLAM method. Adjusted ph to 7.5 and it looked like 0 CYA so I added a gallon of liquid stabilizer. Now looks like maybe 20-30 CYA? I have not checked other levels since it was not mentioned in SLAM method and I'm not sure how accurate they will be since the water is so dark and murky? I have a Hayward xStream AG cartridge150 sq ft filter and 1.5 HP pump. Since starting yesterday, I have had to change the cartridge 3 times already and am wondering if I'm on the right path?? Any advice for fastest clean up, since this pool is beyond green?

Welcome to the forum!
It is imperative to remove as much/all debris from the pool. The SLAM Process will go very slow and be frustrating if you have solid organic debris in the pool. It may also be helpful to drain a significant portion of the water and refill with fresh to lessen the organic load, if at all possible.
If the cartridges are plugging too quickly, remove them. Attack the water with chlorine to get to blue and cloudy and then put the cartridges back in when you can babysit them and clean up the solids.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks so much for the quick response! I was wondering if I could take the filter out and just circulate for a while since they are blocking up with record speed. I'm guessing I have to climb into the thing to gather as much debris as I can. I can't see the bottom so I've just been raking blindly and pulling out lots of leaves, etc. This sounds ignorant but I'm guessing it's safe enough to climb in even with chlorine at level of 12 or so?

It would be safe from a chlorine standpoint. I would suggest you have an observer on the outside of the pool while you are in it as you will not be visible if you fell and could not get out. Do be safe during that process. Better is to drain out 2/3rds of the water and then clean out.

I'm going in since there is no way to see everything in there! And I'm going to remove the filter the next time it clogs which I am guessing will be in about another 8 hours or so....I am determined to conquer this disaster of a clean up! I am testing chlorine every 60 minutes and readjusting to keep at 12 as of now. Will a CYA test be accurate with the pool this dirty? And should I try to get it to 30 or 40 while slamming?

As shown in Extended Test Kit Directions – Trouble Free Pool "Very rarely, cloudy or murky water can affect the CYA test. To check for this, fill the view tube with straight pool water. If you can still see the black dot clearly, the cloudy/murky water is not affecting the test result." So the CYA test is most likely accurate.

I would not add any more CYA right now until you clean out the debris and decide if you are willing to drain some of the murky water off the pool. Once those are done, then adding enough CYA to get to a solid 30 ppm or so would be advisable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.