Opened pool, turned blue, then green

daleyfolk

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2014
Boise,Idaho
This is my tenth or eleventh season of pool ownership and I’ve been using TFP methods since that first season. The pool has done great under my watch. But this year‘s opening has shaken my confidence.

Opened two days ago to a murky dark green pool. tested ph and CYA. Ph was super low. Added all I had of ph UP, but still too low. I am currently Waiting for ph UP to be delivered. Decided to get the pool chlorinated anyway. I added enough for chlorine to reach > 16 (CYA is 40). Chlorine hasn’t dropped since yesterday. Still above twenty. Yesterday the pool was blue but cloudy. Today, it’s turned a lovely light green. Most of the winter silt has been vacuumed out. High chlorine, yet green pool? I don’t understand. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I didn’t adjust the ph adequately?

thank you for any advice. Pat

Metals might make sense. Over the summer, our white steps turn rusty color. What can I do about my green water? Wait for the chlorine level to come down? Btw, the water is clear. I can see the drain.

FF43134A-CCEA-4CC4-9870-B476564F7504.jpeg

Last edited:
Rusty sounds like iron. Is any staining present at the moment ? If you rub VitiminC on it and it helps, it's iron.

Then filter it out as listed towards the bottom of the link above.

Let the FC drop and the water should go blue in about 2 days.

Then you need to deal with the iron in your water using sequestrant or filtering with poly fill or a water exchange to get fresh iron free water in.

Reactions: Mdragger88
We’ve had staining on the steps every summer. We clean it with vitamin C or Magic Stuff. I understand that that simply sends the iron back into the water. It doesn’t actually get rid of it. The Thing that is suspect is that when I opened the pool my CYA was high, so I drained and refilled approx 8 inches of water. That fresh iron- filled water is probably the culprit. I’ve never encountered this combination of fresh-refill water while simultaneously slamming. Darn.

so, just to double check: no one thinks this could have anything to do with low pH prior to slamming?

no one thinks this could have anything to do with low pH prior to slamming?
That did not put iron in the water beforehand, correct. (y)

Here is my buddy's battle with it.

Update: I let the chlorine come down from (above) SLAM level. And the iron has apparently turned soluable again.
Sunday was the day it turned green.
Monday through Tuesday gradually bluer. Today is Wednesday and the water is beautiful. The FC is 10 (CYA=40, so I'll let it come down to proper range, and maintain.)

Thank you for explaining this metal phenomenon to me. :)

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.