Green pool for 10 days, today finally a bluish/cloudy..to keep adding chlorine?

So....do I just stand pat on the chlorine for now? Also, anything to speed up the clearing of the cloudiness? And, Idon't really think I am going to have enough reagent to do many more chlorine tests, at the rate of 63 drops at a time!!��. ?????

Your Taylor K-2006 is a great kit when everything is in balance and will last quite awhile.
However, as you have found you will burn through those chemicals quickly when doing a SLAM.
This is why the TFP method is so great. It helps you avoid having to do a slam as much as possible.
But when you have an issue the people here are awesome at giving help.

There is an awesome source for more of those chemicals.
Try here...TFTestkits.net.
Under the K-2006 refills look for the XL option.
It is an extra large refill of both the crystals (R-0870) and the R-0871.
Perfect for those doing a SLAM.

You'll also find refills for the other items in your K-2006 test kit.
Some people swear by the speedstir when it comes to testing.
I do, as it makes the swirling of the test water so much easier.
SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer - YouTube

One more thing....
When doing your FC test at 10ml, you only need to use a heaping scoop of the crystals (R-0870).
You don't need to use two scoops everytime.
You just need the water sample to turn a nice shade of pink.

Last edited:
You can switch to 5ml pool water and each drop is 1ppm. this is not as accurate so shoot for 30 rather than 29.

only use just enough of the powder to make get the water to turn pink. you don't HAVE to use two scoops.

So....do I just stand pat on the chlorine for now? Also, anything to speed up the clearing of the cloudiness? And, Idon't really think I am going to have enough reagent to do many more chlorine tests, at the rate of 63 drops at a time!!��. ?????

Please use 5 ml sample and multiply by 1 to figure out TC. This will save reagent. You must maintain your shock level based on CYA until you pass all 3 tests. You will go from green to cloudy to clear. Take pictures if you can. We like pictures. I would order more reagents.

I have Frog system, which is empty. Recommend removing mineralizer and bac pac. Use straight liquid chlorine at this point and add daily based on pool calculator, etc.

Hi Jamie you're doing great!!!!!

Go ahead, and get the reagents your running low on and any you think you might need in the near future ordered Now, so they'll be on the way. Not to worry, it happens. I too ran out of reagents during my Slam, and all turned out just fine.

IF/When you do run out of reagents, just continue to add the same amount of chlorine you've been adding, and add it the same amount of times you've been adding it, and your level should remain pretty close to where it's at now. Then when your reagents come in you can then recheck your level, and adjust the chlorine accordingly.

As several others have mentioned you can use a smaller water sample, and less reagents for testing, and that will help what you do still have last a little longer.

It will all work out fine and your pool will be all pretty and clean in no time. Have a wonderful night :)

I have been doing just the one scoop of crystals, and wondered about just doing 5ml, so I'll so that and order more reagent. So, I am not sure if I should test again tonight and then add chlorine or not depending on level (24 is what is recommended with my CYA, and earlier it was 31...yesterday it was 28). So just keep doing what I'm doing and water will clear?

You really want it to be as close to SLAM/SHOCK level as possible, no need to running much higher than SLAM/Shock level because it is just wasted anyway and too high of levels over time can damage equipment/liners etc.

BUT with that being said, you also can NEVER allow it to go below that level during the SLAM either, so sometimes you need to run it just a little higher for times you are away from it and can't do hourly checks, etc. That way you are sure it won't drop below.

But to Clarify, wasn't your last CYA 70? If so, your SLAM/SHOCK level should remain at 28ppm not 24.

As far as whether to Check and/or ADD tonight, It would depend on how long ago it was when you checked last, how much sun has been hitting the pool, if any water has been added, how much your FC level has been dropping during the night, and how much of your FC has been getting combined to fight the algae.

You were at 31ppm your last check, at whatever time?

You need to remain at 28ppm all night, we've still got about 3 -4 hours of sunlight left for the day that will be using up some of that 31ppm. (It may hold through the night, and it may not? LOL that was a big help, huh?

But if you want to be certain, just before dark, dump in about a 1/2 gallon of chlorine, (that shouldn't hurt an thing either way), and check your level again 1st thing in the morning, and then adjust accordingly).

There's really no right or wrong way to do it as long as you maintain your Slam/Shock level at all times. A lot of the to check, or not to check, need to add more chlorine to maintain current level, or not to add, is kind of a guessing game that depends on a lot of factors. Especially when your running low on reagents it makes you question the need to check even more.

You will see that you need to add less and less chlorine as time goes on because your levels are holding better, but for now just do what you have to maintain that level to get that algae killed out.

To answer your other question: YES, "just keep doing what I'm doing and water will clear." just as soon as all the algae is killed off.

You're doing great. Have a wonderful night :)

Jamie:

Do you have a timeline for your SLAM?

If so, it would be best to send it to everyone. You will have a pattern and this could help regarding adding liquid bleach without the test kit. When I helped my friend, the chlorine consumption dropped pretty significantly from day to day once the water went from green to cloudy and each day a bit more clear until all 3 tests were met. As you hold FC in your water, you may need to be careful not too have very high levels. Please use the 5 ml samples as this will help. Definitely order the refills immediately.

Maybe I will create a spreadsheet that members can use in the future. Have something for myself, but a bit more detailed. Here we are just working with the SLAM portion. Good luck and keep us posted.

Catanzaro, if you do make a spreadsheet of some sort please send a copy my way too because I love having anything to make life more convenient :).

Will do. I have to give some thought to this. Will not take long. Given the amount of reagents that are needed, I may even remind SLAM'ers that a 5 ml. sample should be used and that a dilution test should be performed for CYA, in addition to lowering the PH to 7.2, and that you are not finished until you pass all 3 tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tested this morning,
FC 26
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 140
cya 60.
pool is still cloudy but there are spots where we can sort of make out the liner design in the bottom. So, do I just keep maintaining the SLAM level till it us clear and then I can go to maintenance level? Backwashed a ton of water out too this morning and am putting water back in to hopefully bring down CYA a bit more. Just want it clear!! Ahhhh! It's been 3 weeks :(

Yes keep slamming, until you meet all 3 criteria for OCLT.

1)<FC loss of 1.0ppm or < overnight
2)<CC level of 0.5ppm or less
3) Crystal clear water. (Not almost crystal clear but completely crystal clear)

When did your CYA drop from 60 to 70ppm? You might want to continue to run it at the original CYA prior to slam which was 70ppm and keep your SLAM/ SHOCK level running at 28 to make sure you kill everything in there because I don't want you to have to SLam again because your #'s were being kept just below the necessary SLAM/SHOCK level. Once I checked my CYA prior to slam I didn't check it again until after. Now if you have to add a lot of water sure check it more often.

ALSO you do not need to check anything other than the FC and CC levels during the slam because the pH will not be accurate with a FC greater than 10ppm so just save your reagents on all those until the SLam is completed. I hope this helps. Have a wonderful day!!!

The drop in CYA, from 70 to 60, was reported by the OP a number of days ago, following some water dilution, I think.

Jamie, if you are starting to see the liner, when it was invisible before, that shows progress! Not sure how often you've been able to check and maintain your chlorine levels, but, if you can manage to do that more times per day, progress would probably be quicker.

Thanks singingpond. I looked back, but must have missed the drop, sorry Jamie. She's working so hard and doing so well, I didn't want a 10ppm difference in CYA, and a 4 ppm difference in FC to slow down her progress. Keep up the great job Jamie, and before you know it your pool will be crystal clear. We're all cheering you on. Have a nice day!!!

Be sure it's the POOL Grade, not the food grade DE because they are different. Also be sure to dilute it a lot (I put like 1/4 cup of DE in close to 3 gallons of water, in a 5 gallon bucket, stir well, add it slowly through your skimmer, and watch that pressure gauge very closely at all times while adding it, and check the pressure reading after frequently too. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Adding it should help a lot in the final parts of the clean up process

Wonderful Jamie on your friend giving you some of their pool DE. You're going to need such a small amount in your sand filter, but it Will make such a Big difference in clearing your pool. I ended up having to buy a huge 25 pound bag for $25, and lol I think I've used like 2 cups out of it, so yea, hooray for your friend. It won't be long now that your pool is all clear and purty :).

Yay! Pool is clear this morning! Without adding the DE powder! Now my question is what now? I haven't technically done the OCLT test...I tested last evening before I added chlorine to see what to add (it was at 25, added about 64 oz 10% liquid chlorine), and didn't test after that. This morning 9:00 tested and it is at 21. But there gad already been sone sunlight on the pool. So, I guess that is the next thing I have to do...how many days do I do the OCLT? Also, should I add any DE or no?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.