South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We recently bought a new pool that had an entire ecosystem living it it, lol. Complete with frogs and a ton of tadpoles. It was a chlorine pool that we have converted to salt water. I think we have added around 30+ bottles of chlorinater and it just won’t budge from this green color. We’ve been vacuuming and backwashing the filter, brushing every day, and it’s been stuck here for 4 days at this color. What can we do? Thanks!

Attachments

• F78C0518-FA1B-44F5-9AED-A1EFE0F30D98.jpeg
    F78C0518-FA1B-44F5-9AED-A1EFE0F30D98.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 796D5019-470F-42E0-A8E0-AB4720C51D3B.jpeg
    796D5019-470F-42E0-A8E0-AB4720C51D3B.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 11
You are testing your FC every 2-3 hours and adding the required chlorine to get to 12 ppm?

4 days isn't a long time for a pool in that condition. It didn't get that way overnight and it won't get fixed overnight. It could take a couple of weeks.

I suspect there may be a lot of organic debris on the bottom that you can't see yet. How are you vacuuming? You might try a leaf net to see what it dredges up.

HEY! Welcome to TFP!!

I have almost the same size pool and equipment. It took me 9-10 days and 35 gallons of chlorine. You are killing anything that is living. The issue is going to be the sand filter. Of all the filters, sand takes the longest to clear.

Keep an eye on you filter pressure gauge. Not pressure after you backwash. When the filter pressure rises 25%, backwash again. This will optimize your filtering.

Since then, my pool hasn't seen a lick of green and is always ready for a swim.

You got this, like the rest of us...take a gander --> How Clear is TFP Clear?

Reactions: jeffchap and ah1017
4 days isn't a long time for a pool in that condition. It didn't get that way overnight and it won't get fixed overnight. It could take a couple of weeks.

I suspect there may be a lot of organic debris on the bottom that you can't see yet. How are you vacuuming? You might try a leaf net to see what it dredges up.
We have used both and aren’t currently getting anything else up! Maybe it’s just the dead algae? Would it be advantageous to try DE?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I’ve done the CYA test two or three times to be sure. I’ve added it in full sun, checking at each line and looking away.

Sounds like it’s just a waiting game. Honestly we weren’t able to vacuum until recently bc the pump before we converted wasn’t suctioning perfectly and we kept getting air in the lines and losing suction. We sucked up all organic debris with a leaf rake. I’ll report back in a few days. Thanks so much.

Reactions: jeffchap
We just bought a house where the pool has not been used for a questionable amount of time. There was a ton of tadpoles and frogs in the pool and the water was filthy green. We converted the pool to saltwater and have been slamming it for almost 4 weeks now. The green color is not budging! I’m not exaggerating when I say that we’ve probably gone through 60 gallons of bleach. We have followed TFP slam protocols to a T and keeping CYA at 30 and FC at 12. (I am sure these levels are correct. Using T-100 test kit and following proper technique). We’ve scrubbed the ladder, light, and steps.

At this point we are just ready to try and replace the water. Is there anything else we can try? Is it just taking longer because of how disgusting it was? I’m so bummed by this!!

Thank you so so much. The advice here is always valued!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.