Bold Springs, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Newbie here. Have 3 bids from PBs. This one stands head and shoulders above the water line:

18 x 42 Grecian; 3.5 x 5.5 x 4/In ground gunite/
Custom Smart Pool Package
Custom shape (Grecian style),depths and all standard features (can customize depths)
“Negative Edge” Spa Package- 8’x6’ Luxury Spa. Raised 12” and a 360 spillover into
pool. Spa to be faced with mosaic tile. Includes 6 therapy jets, and a 2 hp air blower for additional pressure in spa.
Engineered plans, all permitting and inspections **including new As-Built Survey**
Pool Layout and excavation Excavator (side yard access)
Dirt and debris to be used on site
Additional grading in rear yard included
Engineered, Steel reinforced, Shotcrete shell w/ **Lifetime Structural warranty** Electrical lines and Gas Line runs are Included

*The following equipment is actually manufactured for this national pool builder under their name. I've deleted their name and simply inserted "Hayward." All units are at or near the top of the line in the series.
Hayward Smart Pump hp filter pump and motor
Hayward Smart filter 600 Cu. Ft. cartridge w/ Microban** (bacteria inhibitor)
Hayward Smart Pure Saltwater purification system
Hayward Smart Therm 500k btu Infinity heater
Hayward Omni Logic control center with automatic freeze protection sensors and I-pad/I-phone operation with the HAYWARD app and wi-fi connectivity Wireless handheld remote control included
Robotic Pool Cleaner
Lighting: Pool- 2-LED pool light, 1-LED spa light
4 LED Accent lights set into pool and benches
POOL FEATURES AND ADD-ONS-
6”
deep Deluxe Tanning Ledge w/ umbrella sleeve
Entry steps into pool (see design)
Negative edge spa
2- 6’ long “love seat” benches on each side of spa (see design)
Bullnose Travertine Pool Coping
Travertine paver decking (see design)
2 sets of travertine steps up to “raised” deck areas
18” “Raised Beam” on pool backside. To be faced in travertine split face stone (see design)
6- stainless steel waterspouts set into raised pool wall w/ dedicated pump
3 “Water Bubbler” water features set into tanning ledge (share pump w/ waterspouts)
Pebble Plaster pool interior (*choice of regular or mini pebble and choice of standard colors*)
Mosaic Frost proof waterline tile around pool perimeter (*choice of standard level upgrade*)
#8 Copper Bonding of pool and lights, installed and inspected
Pool plumbing using schedule 40 pvc pipe, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 3 returns
Final clean-up of job site
Pole, leaf rake, brush, water chemistry test kit, pool start up and full instructions
Final Inspections per City/County Code Regulations

$108,000 before negotiations. The other 2 were $80K and $95K but nowhere near the layout or amenities and lower grade Hayward equipment.

This is in the suburbs of Atlanta Georgia. I'm a Boomer looking to enjoy the golden years with lots of grandkids and family and friends. I want a pool that allows me to swim laps but also be an enjoyable place for gatherings. I'll probably add a pergola and fire pit at some point.

So any suggestions on style, price, equipment or other things?

Attachments

• Monroe Luxury Grecian_016.jpg
    Monroe Luxury Grecian_016.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 286
  • Monroe Luxury Grecian_011.jpg
    Monroe Luxury Grecian_011.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 298
  • Monroe Luxury Grecian_007.jpg
    Monroe Luxury Grecian_007.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 305
  • Monroe Luxury Grecian_006.jpg
    Monroe Luxury Grecian_006.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Monroe Luxury Grecian_003.jpg
    Monroe Luxury Grecian_003.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 287
  • Monroe Luxury Grecian_001(1).jpg
    Monroe Luxury Grecian_001(1).jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
I’m sold. Holy. Goodness. Gracious. Wow. We got tons of pros. Keep us posted and ask away for all the details and folks will guide you though all the stages. Welcome to the party.

Reactions: TecHHeadDD
First of all, I really like your design. Just a couple of comments:

- 3 returns for that pool seems pretty low. I'm sure you will have plenty of water movement with the bubblers and scuppers running, but 99% of the time you will want you pool to be running at low speeds with just the skimmers and returns running.
- The 3 bubblers on the tanning ledge look nice, especially from the house, but could be a bit much if you were actually sitting on the tanning ledge. I would consider reducing the number, or making sure there was an actuator so you can turn them on/off via your phone and save yourself a trip to the equipment pad to turn them on/off.
- While the pool is awesome, I see that you want to enjoy the pool with family/friends and watch the grandkids use it, but I dont see a lot of seating areas for you to do that without being in the pool. If I were you, I would want a nice covered area to be able to sit, watch the kids, have drinks with your friends, etc. I know its easy to spend other people's money, but I would think $10k or so for a nice shaded seating area would greatly increase your usability and enjoyment of the backyard.

First of all, I really like your design. Just a couple of comments:

- 3 returns for that pool seems pretty low. I'm sure you will have plenty of water movement with the bubblers and scuppers running, but 99% of the time you will want you pool to be running at low speeds with just the skimmers and returns running.
- The 3 bubblers on the tanning ledge look nice, especially from the house, but could be a bit much if you were actually sitting on the tanning ledge. I would consider reducing the number, or making sure there was an actuator so you can turn them on/off via your phone and save yourself a trip to the equipment pad to turn them on/off.
- While the pool is awesome, I see that you want to enjoy the pool with family/friends and watch the grandkids use it, but I dont see a lot of seating areas for you to do that without being in the pool. If I were you, I would want a nice covered area to be able to sit, watch the kids, have drinks with your friends, etc. I know its easy to spend other people's money, but I would think $10k or so for a nice shaded seating area would greatly increase your usability and enjoyment of the backyard.
Good guidance there @JJ_Tex. I'm meeting with the designer on Tuesday to ask about widening the tanning ledge and surrounding steps. I'll inquire about those bubblers. I'll also inquire about the number of drains as well as the number of jets in the spa. I did crop the pictures of the deck that had the company logo. It's about 830 sf of decking. Think I'll definitely have the pergola put in.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
T,

I really doubt anyone has their own pool equipment manufactured for them. I suspect that they just have someone else's equipment manufactured with their name on it..

Unless I knew who actually manufactured the equipment, it would make me very hesitant to use it. As things go south in the future, you will want the ability to repair things.

With a 360 degree spillover spa, how do you plan to clean the small gap between the deck sides of the spa?

I would want to make sure the the "Smart Pure" salt water system does not require any type of mineral cartridges and that the cell's output was at least 2 x the volume of the pool.

I agree with having more returns.. I believe that 4 returns is the right number for most pools, basically one on each "side" of the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

I really doubt anyone has their own pool equipment manufactured for them. I suspect that they just have someone else's equipment manufactured with their name on it..

Unless I knew who actually manufactured the equipment, it would make me very hesitant to use it. As things go south in the future, you will want the ability to repair things.

With a 360 degree spillover spa, how do you plan to clean the small gap between the deck sides of the spa?

I would want to make sure the the "Smart Pure" salt water system does not require any type of mineral cartridges and that the cell's output was at least 2 x the volume of the pool.

I agree with having more returns.. I believe that 4 returns is the right number for most pools, basically one on each "side" of the pool.

Jim R.
I knew this was a great forum when I read through the posts. Thanks so much for the insights. The company has equipment by Hayward. They are a large enough distributor/user that Hayward allows the branding. I'll be sure to examine the ones at their office to be sure.

Hadn't thought about that 360 spillover..*yikes*

I've heard good and bad about the mineral cartridges with silver. I'll have to read more about it. For now there is no mention of it being included although it was discussed. I'll be sure to ask and post.

Thanks, @Jimrahbe for those nuggets. 4 drains will be the minimum.

I would be wary of the filter. The Microban filters sound like they have silver or copper or something embedded in them. Request plain cartridge filters. And be sure that is a VS pump.

Should be fun -----

4 drains will be the minimum.

I assume you meant 4 Returns.. Just to makes sure that we are on the same page... Returns are normally on the side wall of a pool, or spa, and is where the water is returned to the pool after being run through the filter... Drains are normally on the floor of the pool, or spa, and are used as a water input to the pump.

Old pools only had one drain in the pool and one in the Spa.. As a safety feature all new pools that have drains, must have two of them connected together to prevent entrapment if someone is stupid enough to swim down and sit or lay on them... :mrgreen: Some pool builders present this as something "special" but it is a requirement. In a pool and spa set up you would normally have two drains in the pool and two in the spa.

I agree with Marty about the need for the main pump to be a VS pump... I just assumed it was, but it would be best to make sure.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You say you want to swim laps- 3.5' is too shallow as you'll scrape knuckles at that depth. I'd suggest 4' minimum.

That price seems pretty expensive to me? Maybe its an Atlanta thing??

If that stand alone garage were to have a side door and bathroom in there..... it would be ideal!

Maddie :flower:

I assume you meant 4 Returns.. Just to makes sure that we are on the same page... Returns are normally on the side wall of a pool, or spa, and is where the water is returned to the pool after being run through the filter... Drains are normally on the floor of the pool, or spa, and are used as a water input to the pump.

Old pools only had one drain in the pool and one in the Spa.. As a safety feature all new pools that have drains, must have two of them connected together to prevent entrapment if someone is stupid enough to swim down and sit or lay on them... :mrgreen: Some pool builders present this as something "special" but it is a requirement. In a pool and spa set up you would normally have two drains in the pool and two in the spa.

I agree with Marty about the need for the main pump to be a VS pump... I just assumed it was, but it would be best to make sure.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ahem, yes. "Returns" is what I meant. I'm still wet behind the ears. As for the pump, we discussed VS. I believe it's one of the TriStar VS models. On my check sheet for Tuesday's meeting as well.

Reactions: Banya112

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You say you want to swim laps- 3.5' is too shallow as you'll scrape knuckles at that depth. I'd suggest 4' minimum.

That price seems pretty expensive to me? Maybe its an Atlanta thing??

If that stand alone garage were to have a side door and bathroom in there..... it would be ideal!

You're reading my mind on the garage! There's already 4 bays in the main house so that garage will be a retreat area AND have a bathroom. It has 2 floors, and I plan on turning the upper level into an observatory for astronomy some day. I'd need a bathroom close by at 2 AM at my age!

I was wondering about the knuckle-dragging depth? Was trying to keep it shallow enough on one end for younger kids. Maybe they'll all have to wear water-wings ;-) and boost it up to 4.5 at both ends. Great point.

As for the pricing? I'd like to get more feedback on that? I was aiming around $80k but the travertine, infinity spa, and higher end equipment made even the lowest PB splash through that budget with just average design features and mid-level equipment. I've looked at some high end finished pools and those prices were really scary. I mean...I do want my very last check to bounce, but I plan on being around for a couple of decades more.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
4' deep is a good starting point. Kids very young/short tend to stay near the steps anyway. Then they use floaties and such and the bottom makes little difference if 3.5 or 4 feet. And kids GROW fast! Cute little swim vests make floating around a pool easy for them.

I'm sure that travertine is jacking the price up. Your list doesn't break down the price of each item so its hard to tell. And its a very pretty pool. Pretty often costs more than simple functional pools. ;)

Love, love, love your design!!! I would go to 4' like Maddie suggests.

Dirt and debris to be used on site
What does this mean? are they going to spread what they dig out around your yard?

share pump w/ waterspouts
I would make sure you can control each feature on it's own. You might not want the bubblers going if a little is on the shelf but want the water jets going. You can control everything with valves. Make sure to get the rebuildable ones and use unions on all equipment for ease of repair and replacement down the road.

For the equipment get all of the model numbers and share them with us so we can make sure they are what your pool needs.

Spa overflow--Yeah that needs more thought LOL

Kim:kim:

Love, love, love your design!!! I would go to 4' like Maddie suggests.

What does this mean? are they going to spread what they dig out around your yard?

I would make sure you can control each feature on it's own. You might not want the bubblers going if a little is on the shelf but want the water jets going. You can control everything with valves. Make sure to get the rebuildable ones and use unions on all equipment for ease of repair and replacement down the road.

For the equipment get all of the model numbers and share them with us so we can make sure they are what your pool needs.

Spa overflow--Yeah that needs more thought LOL

Kim:kim:

I have some low areas toward the rear of the property that I can grade with the soil.

Making a list and checking it...hourly. Thanks for all that input.

The designer/owner agreed to bring the spreadsheet to our meeting tomorrow so I can get my apples and oranges sorted.

WOW. LOVE the design. Def not a simple Grecian! LOL. It's a mix of all my favorites :love:

I didn't see any landscaping listed. Doesn't look like you'll need much based off the renderings, but the re-seeding alone is something to be considered.

How old are your grandkids? Plans for more to come? Maybe consider doing a tanning ledge in one of the Roman ends if you're looking for more 'play' space for them.

How old are your grandkids? Plans for more to come? Maybe consider doing a tanning ledge in one of the Roman ends if you're looking for more 'play' space for them.
I have grand kids, grand nieces and nephews ranging from 3 to 20...then a generous amount of friends with their own. I'm going from Shrek I to Shrek III - from hermit to village central.:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Thought I'd share the update:

Modifications:
  • Added another return to total 4.
  • Widened the tanning ledge and steps to allow room for 4 loungers and more play area for the really little ones.
  • Added umbrella sleeves on the ledge as well as sleeves for an optional net to keep the little tikes from wandering off the ledge.
  • Additional bubblers on the expanded ledge.
  • Increased the pool depth to 4' x 5.5' x 4' ( there are 2 drains ) Pool is 25,000 gls
  • Added a couple hundred feet of travertine decking.
  • Raised a beam topped with travertine at the grass line behind the spa for seating.
  • Added 2 therapy jets in the spa to equal 8 total.
  • Spa overflo is designed with jets and a sloped basin configuration to push any debris clear of the 3" gap of the 360 spillover.
Equipment:
  • Main pump is Hayward Tristar VS 2.7+
  • SWCG is Hayward TCELL-15 (Above the Aqua Plus) 40,000 gallons 580 lbs free chlorine.
  • Multi Cartridge Filter is Hayward 4 cartridge 600 coated with microban.
  • Heater is Hayward Smart Therm Infinity 500,000 btu
  • Hayward Omni Logic control center with remote plus iphone/Android.
  • Aqua Vac 650 robotic cleaner
No mineral cartridges involved.
8-12 weeks to final inspection.
So I'll have to drink domestic beer for a year or two...taking another day to think about it as it comes in 12,000 over nearest competitor...but it's superior in every way to any of them.
$105,000

The cell is a tad small for what we like to suggest (2x pool volume). I wonder if there is a 60k gallon cell available?

Are you committed to getting the pool robot from the builder? We can recommend a dealer who might beat that price and able to provide full warranty.

It sounds absolutely stunning otherwise!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.