GPM vs. RPM issue - Pentair Intellicenter

The solution was to clean the 4 cartridges and the filter housing. There was a lot of sand settled on the bottom of the housing and the cartridges were pretty dirty. No issue getting 80gpm out of hot tub jets now.

Reactions: JamesW
I know many on this forum don't go by the once a day turnover. I am fine with that....but is there a recommended minimum number of hours, flowrate, etc. etc. to run pumps? Right now I have my pool pump run for 2 hours in the morning, an hour in the afternoon, and 2 hours in the evening. Right at 1850rpm/35gpm. As I have a SWCG I obviously need to run the pump some in order to make the chlorine. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...thanks!

Thanks. I have read that. With variable speed pumps I. An run anywhere from 500 rpm to 3540rpm. Asked on article run 4 hours at 3450rpm or 8 hours at 1725rpm. But it doesn’t take into account pool size or make any specific recommendations for reduced speed/flow.

Thanks. I have read that. With variable speed pumps I. An run anywhere from 500 rpm to 3540rpm. Asked on article run 4 hours at 3450rpm or 8 hours at 1725rpm. But it doesn’t take into account pool size or make any specific recommendations for reduced speed/flow.

Pool size and reduced speed/flow do not matter as long as you have sufficient run time and flow to generate the chlorine in your SWG and you are satisfied with the skimming of your pool. The only reason to run your pump longer then your SWG needs is for your skimming. After that it is personal preference. Run your pump as little or as much as makes you happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Personally, I like to set my lowest Speed/GPM to what it takes to close the flow switch on my SWCG.. For me this is about 1100 RPM.. I then add 100 RPM just to make sure ,and call it a day. From my point of view, there just no sense running my pump if I'm not making chlorine.. I don't care how much, or how little, water is flowing as long as the SWCG is making chlorine. I just adjust the speed down until the flow light goes out.. Then slowly increase the speed until the flow light just comes on, and then add 100 RPM.. You could do the same with GPM..

In your size pool, your IC40, at 100% output, will produce 12 ppm of FC, when run for 24 hours.. So basically .5 FC per hour (at 100% output) In the summer, most pools use about 3 ppm of FC per day..

That means at a minimum, you will need to run your pump for 6 hours. If you drop your SWCG's output to 50%, it will take 12 hours to produce 3 ppm of FC.

Obviously the amount of FC usage depends on the amount of sun and the level of CYA.. But this is a good starting point. Keep in mind that it is much easier to start high and reduce down, rather than to start too low and try to catch up.

I try to keep my pool at my "target" FC level or slightly higher.. I do not try to keep my FC between the minimum and my target.. I look at the minimum as a cliff that I never what to fall off. There is just no downside to running a little hot.. per the saltwater section of this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW

Personally, I like to set my lowest Speed/GPM to what it takes to close the flow switch on my SWCG.. For me this is about 1100 RPM.. I then add 100 RPM just to make sure ,and call it a day. From my point of view, there just no sense running my pump if I'm not making chlorine.. I don't care how much, or how little, water is flowing as long as the SWCG is making chlorine. I just adjust the speed down until the flow light goes out.. Then slowly increase the speed until the flow light just comes on, and then add 100 RPM.. You could do the same with GPM..

In your size pool, your IC40, at 100% output, will produce 12 ppm of FC, when run for 24 hours.. So basically .5 FC per hour (at 100% output) In the summer, most pools use about 3 ppm of FC per day..

That means at a minimum, you will need to run your pump for 6 hours. If you drop your SWCG's output to 50%, it will take 12 hours to produce 3 ppm of FC.

Obviously the amount of FC usage depends on the amount of sun and the level of CYA.. But this is a good starting point. Keep in mind that it is much easier to start high and reduce down, rather than to start too low and try to catch up.

I try to keep my pool at my "target" FC level or slightly higher.. I do not try to keep my FC between the minimum and my target.. I look at the minimum as a cliff that I never what to fall off. There is just no downside to running a little hot.. per the saltwater section of this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks!!! Great information! I like the slightly above SWCG flowrate as a basis. I will try that today and run it for 6 hours at that level and see how it goes. Due to winter and low sun I will keep the SWCG at around 20% and adjust accordingly. Thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.