Got TF100 kit this afternoon--too late to start SLAM?

Re: Got TF100 kit this afternoon--too late to start SLAM? **updated with initial

Just took my first test readings with TF100

FC 8
CC 0.5
CYA 90 (my husband thought maybe 80) repeated several times in different areas

didn't complete ALK or ph because I figured I was going to get "drain the pool x%" before SLAMing, (I already drained over 27 inches this past week and refilled, I wonder how high my CYA level truly was!!!)

I also used a strip test just to see about stabilizer and it was in the 100 mark. Advice?

Re: Got TF100 kit this afternoon--too late to start SLAM? **updated with initial

Just took my first test readings with TF100

FC 8
CC 0.5
CYA 90 (my husband thought maybe 80) repeated several times in different areas

didn't complete ALK or ph because I figured I was going to get "drain the pool x%" before SLAMing, (I already drained over 27 inches this past week and refilled, I wonder how high my CYA level truly was!!!)

I also used a strip test just to see about stabilizer and it was in the 100 mark. Advice?
Drain.

You might want to try vacuuming to waste using the vacuum hose as a siphon since you have an above ground pool. Get rid of any crud that's settled on the floor and lose some CYA at the same time.

And then throw away the test strips. You have the Cadillac of test kits,w hy mess around with a Yugo?

Drain.

And then throw away the test strips. You have the Cadillac of test kits,w hy mess around with a Yugo?

How much? I drained over 27 inches this past week...only thing I kinda know was that my stabilizer was at 150 mark (who knows how much over) before draining. I only used strip to help me guess if I did my first test for CYA right...I better throw away they are what got me in this trouble along with Family Leisure who only sells strips...go figure!

How much? I drained over 27 inches this past week...only thing I kinda know was that my stabilizer was at 150 mark (who knows how much over) before draining. I only used strip to help me guess if I did my first test for CYA right...I better throw away they are what got me in this trouble along with Family Leisure who only sells strips...go figure!
If it's 80ish, replace another quarter. What's that, a foot? 60 is do-able and will work afterwards. If you overshoot and drop to 50 CA, even better.

You can try one of the alternative test methods, too. Fill to the 90 mark, then hold it down waist level and take a look, Still see a dot? Add more to get to 80 and repeat.

You can also pour the sample back and forth between mixing bottle and view tube again and again and again until you're confident of the reading. Then it's straight arithmetic.

27" should have been over 50% of the water. The CYA reduction is the same as the water replaced. Replace 25% of the water, lower the CYA by 25%. Replace 50% of the water, lower the CYA by 50%.

I would suggest 50% so you have a reasonable CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAMed pool all day yesterday 7/8 started at 7 am. CYA 60 so kept Shock FC at 24 (or above, it got to 26 ppm)

7/9 6:20 am readings
FC 25.5 PASS (last night at 8:30 was 26)
CC 0.5 PASS
Pool looking noticeably better, no signs of algae MAYBE

What to do? I can see bottom of pool, but still not totally clear, my FC is above recommended Shock FC level, what to do next? retest after sun has been on pool?

Read the SLAM Process article. There are three criteria to meet a successful SLAM, you met two. Last one is crystal clear water. Stay at it until you have that and then run the OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.